+ Reply to Thread

Thread: furling diagrams

Hybrid View

Default furling diagrams

Are there any diagrams or explainations of how to go about using the formulas. I get the peg positions and I can lay that out; however, I do not understand the number of turns around the pegs before going to the next peg, or which pegs to skip before going back. For example, are there any explainations like: start at Peg 0 and circle around peg 1 and back to the start - and do this 4 times, Then extend to peg at 49 inches and back to peg and 30 -- do this 3 times etc?????? A diagram would be better but I don't know where there is one. Anyone have any suggestions.

I like the formulas and know how to lay them out; however, if it is more than say what Kathy Scott shows, which is kind of simple to follow, I don't know how to make it work.

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

There are any number of diagram sources out there. Perhaps those to found in Darrel Martin's book; MICROPATTERNS (1994) are among the best. He has an entire chapter on furled leaders, and how to make them.

A brief synopsis is as follows: Start at the butt end hook and make the number of prescribed loops around the first peg on the left-hand side and the butt hook. After going around the butt hook for the last time, advance the thread to, and around the next peg on the left-hand side and thenback to the first peg. BE sure to pass the thread BEHIND the first peg and between the thread loops to ensure locking the loops together. Repeat ths process between each set of pegs on the left-hand side. After going around the last peg on the left-hand side, you then pass the thread around the tip peg and down to the first peg on the right-hand side and then back up and around the tip peg, and then to the last peg on the left-hand side and pass the thread through the loop behind this peg and then back to the right-hand side for as many loops as are prescribed for the tip portion. Once this has been accomplished, you then repeat the process for the left-hand side, but progress from the peg the farthest from the butt hook towards the butt hook. You tie off on the butt hook on theh right side.

I do not know how this compares to Kathy Scott's video, as I have never seen it. Skip Shorb taught me how to furl.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers!

Orthoman,
    Be aware aged_sage learned from Skip to go down the left side first....Kathy goes down the right side first...that is how I do it.....makes no difference...just how you want to do it...if you want to go down the right just substitute right for left in aged's explanation.

When you figure your loops remember there is always an extra strand so you end up with an odd number of strands in each segment layout.

Orthoman

I have a diagram, but it is on my other computer at home(Iam on vacation). I will see if Jack Hise can post it.

Brad

Found it on another thread....

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...research/page3

I hope this helps...

Brad
    Last edited by Kaboom1; 03-30-2012 at 05:53 PM.
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

The only thing I do different from that diagram is to make my start and end loop longer to get a 12 strand butt section'

I've made100's of leaders doing the right side first and with the butt section to my left. Now I can't make one any other way!!??

You mean something like this?

Karel

+ Reply to Thread