+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spin/fly combo

Quote Originally Posted by Greg F View Post
    Many use a "4 weight" blank to build a ultra light travel spinning rod. Gary Loomis originally made steelhead spinning rods with "fly rod" blanks. The blank does not care what you use it for. Only issue is that ceramic running guides are pretty heavy for a four weight fly rod.
    Using a blank is a different question. You could use a fly rod blank for a fly rod or for a spinning, I just don't think trying to make one that does both is a great idea. That blank could be a killer fly rod, or a killer spinning, but they are made up completely different. Why not spool up a reel with mono and use that fly rod. To be honest, a baitcasting reel makes more sense. You need that huge stripping guide on a spinning, that could be trouble with fly gear.
    That is my take and I am not against either type of fishing....is fly fishing that important if you are more comfortable with spinning?

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess View Post
    Using a blank is a different question. You could use a fly rod blank for a fly rod or for a spinning, I just don't think trying to make one that does both is a great idea. That blank could be a killer fly rod, or a killer spinning, but they are made up completely different. Why not spool up a reel with mono and use that fly rod. To be honest, a baitcasting reel makes more sense. You need that huge stripping guide on a spinning, that could be trouble with fly gear.
    That is my take and I am not against either type of fishing....is fly fishing that important if you are more comfortable with spinning?
    I think if you would look at Doug Hammons Microwave guide setup you woud see that you would have the best of both worlds, a size 30 for a stripper guide for spinning and a size 8 as a stripper guide for fly. On the new concept spinning type rigs the running guides are all just as small or smaller than the guides on a fly rod. My prototype currently has snake guides as the running guides, but the next version will have either small ceramics or minima 4 guides as the running guides

Good luck with that.

NewTyer 1 Guest

Eagle Claw has one called Pack-It spin/fly rod. I may buy this one to compliment my Eagle Claw fly rod.

NewTyer 1 Guest

Looking on the netI also found a G Loomis and a TFO and another sweet looking Eagle Claw. Price range for the higher end run between $60 and $100

I am currently working on one right now as outlined in Rodmaker mag. for a shop in Montana. The handle is carbon fiber with a size 16 grahite spin seat. Handle and reel seat are mounted on thin wall alumunum tubing with female ferrules mounted in both ends so that the handle can be flopped around for either style. The blank is 7'6" 4/5 wt with the length of the handle/seat cut off from the bottom of the butt piece of the blank. That piece was the ferruled to fit the ferrules in the handle. I then set up the rod using the 27x NGC method for spinning rods with flexlite SF guides. The reel is 1000 series shimano spin reel. Test casting with this reel and set up have given good results both as spin rod and fly rod. It casts 1/16-3/8 oz. lures very nicely and will cast a 4 wt WF line 40+ feet decently. The rod does work better as a spin rod but would definetly use it fly casting. I am going to wrap the guides and finish next week and then go use it to see what it can really do. Will post pics when done.

I had a combo many years ago (that is why I have an opinion on this) that was exactly what you are talking about. You turned the handle around. Had a hole at both ends then a cap to put on when you picked one or the other. As you mentioned, was a great spinning rod, but lack so terribly as a fly rod....40 feet? Not bad but I am betting that is real work.
    At least ORVIS offers two different butt sections in their combo, the top to sections are the same for both, but they saw the need to address that stripping guide issue.

I am not saying this all won't work, it will, but it will not be at top form for the fly fishing.

But, I haven't needed to pick up a spinning outfit for over a quarter of a century, so I am bias.

I think you would be suprised how well it casts a fly line. Using the ngc method or Goduster's use of a microwave guide you have rapid transition to straight line running guides. The old cone of flight method of setting up spinning rods just was not compatible with fly lines.

I will take your word for it, but still have resevations. Okay, the Fly Line was addressed, but now take the spinning and add something a little lighter like a small Mepps, or just a hook and a worm. Should be able to get 40 to 60 feet.

You guys are the ones that need this, so it is great you are looking for a solution. More power to ya.

This turned into something a bit more complex than I can handle. I think I'll stick to building a fly rod and buy a blank to start a spin rod on. Thanks for the info.

+ Reply to Thread