+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Orvis Helios mid vs tip flex

Default Orvis Helios mid vs tip flex

Hi
    Many useful comments below on this rod -- now one as to rod deflection (mid vs tip). Intended use will be for stripers/blues a couple of times a year in RI and steelhead in Great Lakes tribs. Would appreciate your comments. Thanks Dave

Unless you're fishing a half-weight heavier line like a GPX, go with the mid-flex. This is especially true if the steelheading you plan to do is short range bobber fishing rather than long range swinging.

For blues and stripers I'd go with a tip flex, as I'll need a stiffer rod to set the hook, and to cut through the wind. However, casting a stiffer rod is more work.
    Randy

I would agree with Randy on the issue. I did ,however, recently purchase an Orvis Hydros 9' 4 wt in tip flex and while I haven't fished it yet, feel that it's waayy tooo "flexxy" for my tastes. I did expect a much stiffer action comparing it to my other Orvis "Trident" in mid flex which seems to have more backbone. Perhaps I'm comparing apples to oranges in this case being that they are two different models.
    In any case, I'd go with Randy's logic on this .

Mark

Spike,

It really won't matter. You'd have to adjust to ANY rod you buy, and the slight difference in flex is just one more thing that you will adjust to as you cast the rod. Don't overthink this. It's just a fly rod.

Whichever one you choose will work just fine.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Just picked up a closeout Hydros 9 wt tip flex myself. (Exactly the same blank as the Helios, but with a different paint job and hadware, according to a former Orvis wholesale rep I spoke with.) The mid flex will do okay, but I think you will want the stiffness of the tip flex to handle bulky flies in the wind and pull strong fish out of the rocks and current. I have a softer 9 weight that I can coax a cast of 65-70 feet from on a calm day in my backyard, but on my first few tries with the tip flex I threw 90' without even working hard and the whole 105' fly line with just a little more effort.

On the other hand, if you're not a very experienced caster and have trouble throwing a tight loop or a good double-haul, the mid flex will be more forgiving.

+ Reply to Thread