Although he was not famous, a great fisherman is gone. Ronnie Shad passed away last Friday. He was a father to me. I first met him when I used to go look at his daughters in their bikinis at the swimming hole. Now with a mindset I understand, he distracted me to go fishing. He knew my family well and knew I had no one to take me or teach me.
Mr. Shad took me fishing for several years, hunting as well, a couple or more times a week. He paid for things I couldn't afford and gave me what I needed or let me use his gear. I stayed in contact with him after I left home. He continued to take other kids under his wing and taught them as well. He wrote in a local paper about wildlife in the area and took photographs. Mr. Shad had a series of strokes which slowed him down but he never quit loving fishing and kids. Up to two weeks ago he would fish and do the best he could with his limitations. He has touched many lives and introduced many to our sport. We were to go fishing this fall. I guess this is kind of a memorial, he was not famous but was large in many hearts, mine especially. I will try to copy his habit of taking others that need a friend and direction in life, someone to take them fishing. He is my hero. If someone knows of a good way to donate in his name to some fly fishing organization please let me know.