+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Great One Gone

Default Another Great One Gone

Although he was not famous, a great fisherman is gone. Ronnie Shad passed away last Friday. He was a father to me. I first met him when I used to go look at his daughters in their bikinis at the swimming hole. Now with a mindset I understand, he distracted me to go fishing. He knew my family well and knew I had no one to take me or teach me.
    Mr. Shad took me fishing for several years, hunting as well, a couple or more times a week. He paid for things I couldn't afford and gave me what I needed or let me use his gear. I stayed in contact with him after I left home. He continued to take other kids under his wing and taught them as well. He wrote in a local paper about wildlife in the area and took photographs. Mr. Shad had a series of strokes which slowed him down but he never quit loving fishing and kids. Up to two weeks ago he would fish and do the best he could with his limitations. He has touched many lives and introduced many to our sport. We were to go fishing this fall. I guess this is kind of a memorial, he was not famous but was large in many hearts, mine especially. I will try to copy his habit of taking others that need a friend and direction in life, someone to take them fishing. He is my hero. If someone knows of a good way to donate in his name to some fly fishing organization please let me know.

Midstream
    I feel for your loss, I not the famous fisherman who are great, but the quit one who help people when they can and teach those who are willing.
    Ghost

------------------
    time is like a river running though the world, if you dont take a moment to sit and watch it go by we loose so much. GrayGhost

midstream, from the sounds of this man the best memorial you can give him is to pass on his love of the outdoors and his desire to help. I envy the model you have been give to follow. Good luck.

Sorry for your loss. Too bad there aren't more "Mr. Shads".

The best memorial is to enrich others as you have been.

midstream,

Sounds like he was a great guy. My condolences to you and his family.

Allan

My deepest condolensces.
    It sounds like your keeping his legacy alive.

Midstream;

I am sorry for your loss, but remember he is just preparing the fish for you in another place.

When our beloved Al died some of us decided to tie flies for a memorial bench on his favorite stream. It is a slow process but if you want to undertake it, it is quite rewarding for everyone that participates.

You would get as many people that knew Ronnie to tie flies for an auction. You could do it any way you want from there.
    I am sure some of us bored fly tyers might just kick in a dozen or so for someone that showed others our passion.
    Contact me e-mail if you need any help.
    P. Dieter is the one that organized the one for Al.

As for you keep doing what Ronnie taught you. You already know he did it because he loved what he did, not to be remembered after death... I think that is what makes some of these people so near and dear to our hearts.

Hang in there, and take Ronnie fishing with you everytime you go.

Harold

nighthawk Guest

midstream,
    You are in my prayers. Since your friend loved kids might I suggest that you talk to the local high school physical education teachers to see if you can give classes on fly fishing and fly tying. Many schools have state and federal funding available for this and tackle manufacturers have been known to kick in free stuff to help.

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

American veteran and proud of it!

Thanks for the kind words and advice. I will keep his memory alive by doing as he did, taking someone that needs a friend and being a friend to my friends. I am going to check into getting a bench to put by his favorite water. Thank again guys.

Midstream, its time to think about being a Mainstream. Ronnie Shad your mentor will by your side, whether on a stream,river or lake. When you thread a fly or land a fish. Look up to the heavens and be greatfull for his time and love well spent. Return it to others as he has done to you, the reward will be eternal, just as his effection and time with you.

Just an old geeezer with a heavy heart for your loss

Philip

------------------
    Excuse my spelling and Gramma, I hooked mondays and Fridays so I could either hunt or fish.
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

+ Reply to Thread