Sport fishing column for March 26 to April 2, 2012

My experience with fiberglass rods goes back to my first memories of fishing with my Dad in the late 1950s. My first outfit was the standard for kids in 1963; a six foot two piece glass rod, closed faced spinning reel, complete with line, red and white plastic float, and rubber worm. In May of 1970 I was introduced to fly fishing and as you might have guessed the rod was fiberglass.

I remember that introduction like it was yesterday, sitting in the front of our boat watching my mentor, Grant Ramsey, wield that wobbly old glass rod like a master. Then when he landed the largest rainbow trout I had ever seen, I determined in my mind that I was going to be a fly fisherman. Not just any fly fisherman, but a master of the craft.

Fiberglass dominated the market in those days, while cane was available in elite shops and out of the price range of the persons I knew. The glass of the day could not compare to the performance of today's rods, it did make most rods affordable. I sold my drum set to buy my first fly fishing outfit. The money received from the sale, bought me a: Army & Navy brand eight foot, seven weight rod (seven weight was the standard among the anglers I knew), two single action reels, a dry line, a wet line, two tapered leader, a fly box, two dozen flies, and an inflatable rubber raft. Rubber boot foot waders went on my Christmas list.

Over the years I have bought, sold, and repaired numerous glass and cane rods. Some were great performers, most were not, but all of them caught fish. I conceded to graphite in the late 1990s, but still maintain a good collection of good glass and cane rods. Will glass regain a sizable portion of the angling market? Only time will tell.

The report

Fishing on our lower mainland lakes is fair. We finally had a sunny weekend with enough warmth to get the fish moving. The early spring transition from winter to spring fishing, always presents the challenge of finding feeding fish. The warming temperature of the water surface brings the first insect activity, which gets the attention of fish. The fish while interested suffer restricted motility due to their slowed down metabolisms. For your best success continue to concentrate your fishing close to shore, along the north east sections of your favorite lake Try: Chironomid, bloodworm, Red Spratley, Coachman, Zulu, American Coachman, Professor, Wooly Bugger, Micro Leach, Dragonfly Nymph, Sixpack, Halfback, Doc Spratley or Baggy Shrimp.

The Fraser River back waters are fishing well for cutthroat. For cutthroat try: Eggo, Egg & Eye Alevin, Rolled Muddler, Tied Down Minnow, Mickey Finn, Stonefly Nymph, Czech Nymph, or American Coachman.

The Stave River is good for cutthroat.

The Harrison River is good for cutthroat and rainbow. For rainbow try: Big black, Kaufmann Stone, Sixpack, Irresistible, Czech Nymph, Zulu, olive Wooly Bugger, Souboo, or Renegade.

The Chehalis River is fair to good for steelhead and cutthroat. For steelhead try:
Polar Shrimp, Squamish Poacher, Big Black, Flat Black, Popsicle, Kaufmann Black Stone, Eggo, Thor, GP, or Steelhead Spratley

The Vedder is good for steelhead and cuttthroat.