Thread: PA carpin and carp fly info

Threaded View

Can't help you with specific water, but have fished for them extensively in surrounding states. Accurate casting helps! Try to land the fly 18 to 24" away from them and slightly to the side if you can. Strike when you see them tip up. Other things to look for when searching for them is bubble trails that are moving (methane bubble releases will stay in the same spot, carp disturbing the bottom will make the bubbles release in a trail as they move) or "muds" which will be clouds of silt made by feeding carp. More subtle clues will be a push of water made by large carp, as they displace alot of water when they move. Try and predict the movement and direction and keep a tight line. Make small twitches to entice them into taking. Strike at the least feeling of weight on the line. Crayfish flies (once again with the weight in the form of dumbells or beadchain) and San Juan worms in pink, red, or chartreuse can be productive, also. Carp aren't very tippet shy, I generally use 3x fluro for the majority of my fishing.

Charlie
    Last edited by bluefish; 03-26-2012 at 12:43 PM.