+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orvis Helios

Hybrid View

Default Orvis Helios

Any opinions on this rod. Thinking of an 8wt for steelies in Great Lakes tribsand stripers in the salt? Thanks Dave

When upscale flyrods passed the $500 mark, I lost interest. $800 is definitely pricey but it is your money. And there is no substitute for owning the finest.

Bob

I don't have one; however, I have cast them before --- very, very nice. If you can afford it, I say go for it -- you only live once and there is no guarantee how long.

I do not own one (they are pricey) but if I had the money, I would get one. I have tested both the Orvis Helios, and Hydros Rods (with their reels), and their Switch Rods in both the Helios and Hydros Models (the 5 and 6 weights, and even the 8,10, Saltwater and Salmon Switch Rods). They are light, very accurate casting, and Throws a lot of line out with little effort. For those people with Shoulder and BAck Problems, the Switch Rods in these models are fantastic. I was with Orvis guide and casting instructor Hutch Hutchinson while testing these Rods, and I was super impressed. Again, it is very pricey though (at least for me), and may be awhile before I own such a rod, but hey...Hardy Reels, Sage Rods, The original Boo Brothers Bamboo Rods, and Gary Lacey's Granger Boo Rods are very nice and worth owning if you ever get the money for such. I am lucky to have the quality Graphite Rods I have; and even a 4 weight Shay Bamboo Blank that I am trying to finish (stick on a Belanger reel seat, Wrap the guides and Dip, etc.)
    Everything in Fly Fishing anymore is pricey (even the materials I use to tie and design my Fly Patterns).

The guides in the Seychelles say it is the MOST broken brand of rod that they have seen.
    FFF Life Member #22

I have a 9' 5-weight and a 9' 6-weight, both mid-flex. I immediately ordered them after casting the first one we got into the shop. They are excellent wind and drift boat rods. One thing to consider is that Orvis dramatically altered their tapers, so that the new mid-flex is faster than the old tip-flex rods. In fact, I'd strongly suggest against the tip-flex versions unless you plan to overline them or use one of the new half-weight lines (Rio Grand, SA GPX). For small streams or short-range fishing, I'd up-line even the mid-flex. Actually I'd use a different rod, which is why I have three five weights and at least four six weights at last count...

Quote Originally Posted by Orthoman View Post
    I don't have one; however, I have cast them before --- very, very nice.
    Ditto. I cast the 9wt, and it was sweet.

I've cast the 7' 4wt and the 7'6" 3wt.....unbelievable little rods. I do not own them unfortunately.

I cannot say much on the heavier weights.

I may not be a guide in the Seychelles, but , I've beat my 2 Helios up pretty badly and they've performed very, very well.
    I'm replying late to this, having just returned from a trip where my 6 wt. tip-flex 9' pulled up 200 fish from San Diego Bay, including some bone fish and a 30 lb. angel shark. Also a 10 lb. halibut. Handling fish like those in a float tube requires some major strength, which the Helios has in spades. This rod has landed dozens of stripers to 15 lbs. . I have a 10' 7 wt. tip-flex I use on GL steel which has done incredibly well, also. The oversize REC guides were great for clearing ice build-up, and it's a single Spey cannon. It put about 100 steel and 20 kings and coho on the bank this fall and winter. I plan on using it for stripes and blues this coming salt season. The Zero Gravity line (before the intro of the Helios to it) was notorious for ferrule failure- not so for the Helios. Built to last and the tapers were designed by fisherman, not marketing experts. I don't have tons of disposable income, the Helios rods I have were purchased after some serious casting and research. Pricey, but for me worth it to have great rods. I have some B2x's and XP's these rods have replaced.

Charlie

beautiful casting rod...but way out of my price range.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

+ Reply to Thread