+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does it have to be a nail knot?

Hybrid View

Default Does it have to be a nail knot?

I can't seem to tie one when trying to change leaders.

Blog Entries

Hooked,

Don't use the end of your line when you are tying on a new leader, you will use up too much of your line after a few leaders. Do as suggested, put a very short, 3 to 4 inch really thick butt mono leader on the end of your line, yes, using a nail knot, and form the perfection loop on the other end then loop your leaders onto that butt section.

But, you do need to have a tool on your lanyard that will save you hours of grief over a period of time. Buy yourself a Tie-Fast Nail Knot Tool, trust me, that is one of the most important tools you can have with you.

Check out the You-Tube video at:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=611JWRtkjOc

Here is the company that sells them, but if you are close to any fly shop they should have them:
    http://sierrastreamflyshop.com/

I never leave home with out this tool when I go fishing or casting. Never!!

Larry ---sagefisher---

Quote Originally Posted by sagefisher View Post
    Hooked,

Don't use the end of your line when you are tying on a new leader, you will use up too much of your line after a few leaders. Do as suggested, put a very short, 3 to 4 inch really thick butt mono leader on the end of your line, yes, using a nail knot, and form the perfection loop on the other end then loop your leaders onto that butt section.

But, you do need to have a tool on your lanyard that will save you hours of grief over a period of time. Buy yourself a Tie-Fast Nail Knot Tool, trust me, that is one of the most important tools you can have with you.

Check out the You-Tube video at:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=611JWRtkjOc

Here is the company that sells them, but if you are close to any fly shop they should have them:
    http://sierrastreamflyshop.com/

I never leave home with out this tool when I go fishing or casting. Never!!

Larry ---sagefisher---
    I've had a Tie-Fast Knot Tool for about 10 years. Now I finally know how to use it.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Palm Bay, Florida/Rock River Wyoming, USA

As Allen said, I also use the Crazy Glue splice, especially when fishing weeds are involved. Smoooth and slick! I also have, looking around my room here, rods rigged with needle knots, whipped loops and braided loops. All have their purpose and work great. I will admit to using an old trick that was mentioned above where you nail, or needle knot a short piece of butt section (six inches) to your line and tie a very small Perfection Loop in the end of it to loop to loop leaders on when needed. I've known about the Lap knot for years but seldom use it as I also had one failure (untieing itself)
    Good Fishing,

Chuck S (der Aulte Jaeger)

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved"

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

Would the Castwell knot also work to attach the leader tippet to the fly? Wouldn't the eye of the fly be analogous to the loop in the end of the fly line?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dave potts View Post
    Would the Castwell knot also work to attach the leader tippet to the fly? Wouldn't the eye of the fly be analogous to the loop in the end of the fly line?

Dave
    No. Look closely at the Castwell knot and the way the flyline forms around the thinner leader and then bites into its soft coating and locks in place. This won't work with the hard metal hook eye. The mono will slip right out.

My solution for lines that do not have a built in end loop:

I attach the first leader with a nail knot. When I am ready to change the first leader I cut it off, leaving a about 12 inches still attached to the flyline. That section will become a permanent leader butt. I leave 12 inches so I have some extra to work with. Next I tie a perfection loop in that 12 inch section that is still attached to the end of the line. I put the perfection loop about 6 to 8 inches from the end of the flyline and cut off the tag end of the perfection loop knot. Now I have a leader butt with a loop in the end. I attach the new leader to the leader butt I just made using a loop to loop connection.

Most new leaders have a loop already tied in the end. If there isn't one I just tie a loop with another perfection loop knot.

I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

I always use a nail knot, but I don't use a nail. I use a piece of the red tube from a can of WD-40. Works great.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Whipped loop in the end of the flyline works for me; coat with UV Knotsense and it slides through the guides.

Regards,
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread