+ Reply to Thread

Thread: my first Quill Gordon

Thumbs up my first Quill Gordon

DSCN1495.jpgDSCN1500.jpg
    this is my first, comments? suggestions? be as brutal as u want i can take it!
    as for the Catskill rule of thumb, i know the "float line" is incorrect, i don't have a hackle gauge, little longer then i thought, should have used more wood duck... i assure you the wings are separated and symmetrical, tail is also straight with the body, and the peacock quill was the thickest i had left,(need to get more lol) size 12 hook.
    all comments and pictures welcome,
    spoof85

PS, i tied this from a picture, not a recipe..... what is the best way to attach the wings? to ensure equal length... i split it into 2 clumps, and did figure eights to ensure separation... suggestions?
    Last edited by spoof85; 03-23-2012 at 06:15 AM.

FWIW,

"PS, i tied this from a picture, not a recipe..... what is the best way to attach the wings? to ensure equal length... i split it into 2 clumps, and did figure eights to ensure separation... suggestions?"

Here are a few: Do get some photos that show not only proportions(which often vary depending on the tyer) but that also show the volume of materials especially for the tail, wing and hackle. Excellent book is Mike Vallla's, Tying Catskill Dry Flies. Do a search for a specific pattern and see how the various photos differ. Select the one that conforms to the way you like to see it. Learn how to create wings by either using 2 smaller feathers or a larger feather and dividing the fibers. Using a figure 8 is only part of the process. Perhaps you can get someone to give you some hands on instruction. That'll take months or even years off of a learning curve. Above all: use the best materials you can afford, have patience and enjoy the results. Oh, keep that fly. Frame it and see how it compares to what you're tying 5 years from now.

Good luck.

Allan

That's a tough fly to get right the first time and yours looks better than my early tries. Tail looks a bit sparse to me; when I usually fish them, it's early in the season and the streams are up so I like a fuller tail to help with floatation.

Here's a pretty good video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuJJO3k9eHs

I like how he ties the tail in first; I always found the wing got in the way if I did it first on this fly, and I was still able to "marry" the stubs from the tail to those from the wing to get a smooth transition. One thing he didn't do that I'd recommend is coat the thread body with a bit of head cement (or super glue) before wrapping the quill body. I actually prefer wild turkey biot (see A.K. Best's Production Fly Tying) for the body; a lot more durable and easier to deal with. Don't see the need for 2 color hackles in the video; a decent dun has been good enough for me.

Really like seeing your flies.

Regards,
    Scott

Here is one of my quill Gordons to help you out far a dimensions and appearances. Hope this helps you a bit.

Sincerely
    Andy Brasko

Just looked this up. Don't think you can find a better example then this Quill Gordon tyed by Mary Dette Clark:

http://www.danica.com/flytier/mdette/quill_gordon.htm

Allan

You can use the google image search to get photos, eg., Quill Gordon Fly

Then clicking on the individual images takes you the web site for that image.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

AlanB Guest

Something I have found improves the longevity of this fly is to tie in a length of UTC 70 in white (not fluro) then flatten it and wind it over the stripped peacock. Once done you can't see it, but it makes the body much stronger.

Looking at your fly, did you use a strand from the eye of the peacock feather? You don't seem to have the colour banding on the body.

Cheers,
    C.

thank you all as always, your comments help greatly with my learning...
    (Allen) funny you say that, i have it in a seperate case for further rederence lol, ive seen incredible improvment since i started....
    (Scott) here is a link to my facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.363298137021885.93359.100000251055289&type= 3
    i dont know if its set to private... you may not see anything, (my wife does that for me lol) you can definatly tell whitch were the first!
    (Silver) that how i usually find good patturns! lol google rules.....
    thanks again guys... ill use your comments, make another, and post it either late tonight or tomorrow.
    spoof

here are 4 i did in a row, excuse the improper feathers, i need to go shopping!
    white hackle, yellow wood duck wing was the 1st, taller wings with the better tail was 2nd, 3rd got sloppy with everything, and the 4th was for the heck of it lolDSCN1515.jpgDSCN1513.jpgDSCN1509.jpgDSCN1505.jpg
    wish i could combine the first 3...
    proportions are still off too.... all of my hackle is too long, no matter what color i use... what is the best type of hackle to use for this, all i have is saddle hackle
    spoof
    Last edited by spoof85; 03-27-2012 at 01:11 AM.

+ Reply to Thread