+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flathead???

Default Flathead???

Has anyone here ever targeted flathead in a river before? I would think if you could get one on, it could be a heck of a fight!
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

kid,

I've landed a couple while bass fishing in lakes. They are extremely powerful fish. Caught a 9# flathead on a three weight once..wow!

Never fished for them specifically and never hooked one in moving water. If you hooked a big one you'd need lots of backing....

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I have heard of a fly fisherman on the East coast that regularly catches flathead on the fly so it can be done though if you get a big one a heavy outfit would be needed.

I haven't targeted them with flies. Used to catch 'em on blade baits, twister-tail jigs and large 4"-5" swimbaits in the river using spinning gear.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Blog Entries

There's a rip-rapped place along the river below me where you'll see fish busting minnows.. Throw a jig in there and you might come up with any number of species - including flatheads. They usually aren't real big but I plan to one to my "list".
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

It can be done, but keep in mind that Flatheads are very moody, like Muskies. It may take a lot of casting to get one to bite. Also, they are exclusively fish eaters, and not scavengers, so they won't eat any fish that does not appear to be alive. I would recommend larger clousers, and especially shad and bluegill Puglisi-style patterns, like these:

Puglisi Shad.jpgPuglisi Bluegill2.jpg

I catch Channels and Blues on these all the time, mostly behind tailraces. If you go downstream, and work these through the deeper holes, you should hook up with some Flatheads. I also put a drop of Shad, or Baitfish Smelly Jelly on the files every 20 casts or so.

Good Luck.

Blog Entries

Although flatheads were not the target, my buddy Ronnie caught this one on the Arkansas River here in Tulsa while striper fishing.
    Steve
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

Steve, that is an awesome fish! The place I was thinking of fishing is a shallow river where we generally set trot lines and bank lines in the summer. I was thinking either some big Puglisi style minnows, Clouser "half and halfs" or Clouser minnows. If I end up doing any good this summer, I'll post up some results! I'm thinking if I can get one on, it will be all-out war! Thanks!

Zac
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

+ Reply to Thread