+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hula Damsel Fly Pattern

Default Hula Damsel Fly Pattern

I don't have the recipe, but it would be easy to figure it out, or subsitute for similar effects.
    Thanks for posting this...looks pretty cool, I think I'll try to tie a couple soon.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I tied a couple up yesterday...they should work....but I'm wondering what that filmy stuff is that acts like legs...and the thorax is hidden but that's not a big deal

Just found this...written by the originator.

"Hula Damsel Nymph
    The design of this fly started as a problem-solving exercise when viewed a damsel nymph migrating to the shore.
    What struck me was how the head of the damsel stayed stationary and the okole was moving rapidly side to side.
    I knew that I couldn't completely duplicate that movement but I did need to mimic it.
    I also noted how the body of the fly is translucent and somewhat glossy giving it depth and variegation.
    The eyes on the natural are huge and the most prominent feature of the head.
    The body of the natural is long and slender with defined segmentation ending in large paddle-like appendages.

To mimic the sinusoidal movement of the damsel I chose to use two hooks linked with a piece of mono.
    The key here is how the two hooks are joined. The articulated abdomen moves horizontally and not vertically. As the fly is stripped thru the water, the abdomen does move from side to side just like the hula, hence the name.
    I chose a stout short hook with a wide gape on which to build the eyes, head and thorax with great hooking power and penetration.
    For the legs I use CDC for its long thin tendrils as it moves thru the water suggesting movement. I add a pinch of UV Ice Dub
    to give it glint of light to further suggest movement. I add a bead under the thorax so when the fly stops moving it dives, just like it does in nature. I use medallion sheeting or cellophane that has been tinted with a marker to suggest a shiny wingcase and tone down the shininess of the bead.
    For the abdomen, I use a long dry fly hook wrapped with D-Rib to define the segmentation and translucency of the body. Ostrich was a natural choice for the "Tail" appendages for its movement as it is drawn thru the water. I also drew the ostrich herls along the sides of the abdomen as gills and to further enhance the lateral movement of the abdomen."

Thanks, that certainly helps!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I tied a couple last night. I didn't have any egg hooks, so I used a #10 scud hook for the head/thorax, and a #12 or #14 nymph hook (clipped) for the abdomen. I also used a 1/8" gold brass bead on the front, as I didn't have any smaller beads.

David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

AlanB Guest

Some years ago I tied up some flies for a customer that had a similar connection between two hooks. They all broke in use. The solution was to tie the joint using wire in place of the mono. I used two strands twisted together.
    I suspect it is the metal eye waring on the softer mono loop that caused the break. Such a modification shouldn't adversely affect this pattern.
    Cheers,
    A.

Blog Entries

Fine-looking flies!

Alan, thanks for the word.

Ed

Looks like one of Kelly Glissmeyers flies. MY damsel is on there, sweeeeet!

Yep, Joni, I saw your three on there

+ Reply to Thread