+ Reply to Thread

Thread: fisher gt40 rods

Hybrid View

Default fisher gt40 rods

I was just thinking about the old Fisher rods and wondered if there was another model graphite beside the GT40? I have what I presume is a Fisher rod, as that was what the builder mentioned using, but don't know if it's a GT40.

There were a number of other models of Fisher graphite rods ranging from 5ft (or less) brush rods to beastly bluewater models. My first graphite fly rod was a Fisher "Streamfisher" that was $100. I help out a fly shop once a week. The shop has been in business since 1970 with the same owner. He has quite a collection of rods, included about two dozen Fisher rods of different models, mostly graphite but including some glass. I may be able to get a list of some of those models.

Thanks - mine is a 9' 5 wt, were the gt40s all trout wts? As I understand it, Fisher was a real glass pioneer, and graphite, too, I guess.

The heaviest GT40 that I actually have seen with my eyes is a 6wt. Fisher rolled blanks for many well known rod companies including Scott and I think Winston and others before those other companies rolled their own. (though the designs would have been by those companies I think).

I suspect the "GT" moniker meant 'graphite-trout'. 40 million modulus perhaps?

aa
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

We were Fisher dealers to the end.
    The Fisher GT-40 in my opinion was the high point of Fishers graphite rod production.

Amongst the most popular were the Fisher " Original " that was often sold with either an all aluminum reel seat or an aluminum seat with a hardwood insert. The two models were separated by around $25.00. ( $160-ish compared to $185.00-ish )
    My wife, who could have had any rod from our inventory just for the asking, that Sage, Winston, Orvis, Scott, Loomis or Powell were building at the time, choose a Fisher Original 9' - 3 / 4 weight with a walnut insert as her primary spring creek rod and continued to use it for many years. Much to my chagrin.

The Presidential. An upscale rod that could be ordered with interchangeable pieces, offering multiple length and weight configuration in a single rod package.

Best, Dave

+ Reply to Thread