+ Reply to Thread

Thread: N?rnberger Rostbratwurst and German Potato Salad

Blog Entries

Default N?rnberger Rostbratwurst and German Potato Salad

N?rnberger Rostbratwurst

The small, thin bratwurst from Franconia's largest city, Nuremberg, was first documented in 1313; it is surprisingly small, being only 7 to 9 cm in length and weighing between 20 and 25 g. Perhaps the most popular sausage in Germany, the denominations N?rnberger Bratwurst and N?rnberger Rostbratwurst (Rost refers to the cooking grate above the flames) are Protected Geographical Indications (PGI) under EU law since 2003,[6] and may therefore only be produced in the city of N?rnberg, where an "Association for the Protection of N?rnberger Bratw?rste" was established in 1997.[7]

Pork-based and typically seasoned with fresh marjoram which gives them their distinctive flavour, these sausages are traditionally grilled over a beechwood fire. As a main dish, they are served in sets of six, eight, 10 or 12 on a pewter plate (round but also frequently heart- or bell-shaped) with either sauerkraut or potato salad, and accompanied by a dollop of horseradish or mustard. They are also sold as a snack by street vendors as Drei im Weckla (three in a bun; the spelling Drei im Weggla is also common, Weggla/Weckla being the Nuremberg slang for Br?tchen), with mustard being offered to spice them up to personal taste.

~Wikipedia

N?rnberger Rostbratwurst and German Potato Salad

This kind of weather makes me yearn for a small town festival in the Alps!

When you arise in the morning, think of what a
    precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think,
    to enjoy, to love.
    - Marcus Aurelius

Having lived in the Nuremberg region for over 4 years combined (my Dad was stationed close to there while in the Army),
    I can testify these are the best bratwurst and brotchen I've ever eaten. Drooling now just thinking about them! And yes, nothing
    beats the potato salad, sauerkraut, and mustard accompaniments!
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

NewTyer 1 Guest

I was stationed not to far from there back in the early 80's. We had a woman who would come on base selling her still warm brotchen. Her name was Frau Fischer and I can still hear her call for fresh brotchen. I have a one and only charchol drawing of her that was given to me by the artist. It is the only true original in exsistance. I would also go to Nurnburg quite frequently for the BeerFest and have a litre of beer and the rostbrotwurst. Ah, the memories. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Quote Originally Posted by NewTyer 1 View Post
    I was stationed not to far from there back in the early 80's. We had a woman who would come on base selling her still warm brotchen. Her name was Frau Fischer and I can still hear her call for fresh brotchen. I have a one and only charchol drawing of her that was given to me by the artist. It is the only true original in exsistance. I would also go to Nurnburg quite frequently for the BeerFest and have a litre of beer and the rostbrotwurst. Ah, the memories. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
    Oh I remember that! We also had a Frau (can't remember her name) who sold fresh brotchen and the dark farmers bread that i also loved!
    And, do not forget the bier truck delivering the local brew, by the case......to your doorstep! What a life!!
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Being an American fresh in Germany, I remember very well my first braut experience, stationed in Berlin, I went down town and was hungry looking for a vendor snack. went to a Ah" Hot dog lookin stand" lol and ended up with a warm coke (no ice) bruat, hard role and mustard.. funny how that stuck with me and I still want one every now and then.. Oh! also my first time with a real Gyro with fresh shaved lambs meat !!!
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

I was at my university's overseas campus for 6 months in 1966. The exchange rate was 4 marks to the dollar and brats were 1 mark. I liked German food but every once in a while we would want some food from the USA.

We would drive to the US army base and show our US driver's licenses to get in. Then we would get soldiers to buy us some peanut butter and other foods that were unavailable in West Germany.

Here's our group photo from back in 1966 in Landgut Berg, our overseas campus near Stuttgart, Germany. I am in front row kneeling, second from the right.

Our campus was on a hilltop, surrounded by a vineyard in the little burg of Beutelsbach.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

+ Reply to Thread