Thread: Cabela's Glass?

Threaded View

I have the 5/6 and the 7/8. I have used the 5/6 with 4,5,6 and 7wt lines, matching the line to the flies I want to cast. I tend to use a 6wt line most of the time for tossing bluegill size poppers or foam bugs. It is a fun rod. I have used the 7/8 with 7 and 8 wt lines. This rod feels a bit slower to me than the 5/6. For me it seems the best match for this rod is a WF7 line with the 8 being useful for close in work with hair bugs and poppers. I like this rod too but not as much as the 5/6. The 7/8 is still my preference for most bass bugs and weighted streamers like Clouser Minnows.

If you haven't fished much glass they may feel like they are a bit weak in the butt section but they are sufficient for most situations. I do find them a bit soft for hauling fish from thick cover but no surprise there. One situation where I do not like these rods is when casting into tight overhanging cover. I find it a bit more difficult to generate sufficient line speed and create the tight loops necessary to get the fly into tight spots. This applies to other glass, grass, and slow graphite so isn't specific to these Cabelas rods.

I like the rods enough that I often have one with me along with my Sage BASS rods. Sometimes I just take the glass rods, depending on my mood or the expected conditions. For the price the fun quotient is high.

The 5/6 has a tight fitting reel seat and it seems that most reels that i have tried with cast reel feet do not fit. My Medalist reels dont fit but an old Ocean City does. Most reels with a machined foot fit fine. There are lots of reels I haven't tried though. The 7/8 has a nice aluminum reels seat that will fit just about any reel. I have a 1495 Medalist or Orvis Battenkill 7/8 Disc reel mounted on it.
    Last edited by tailingloop; 03-19-2012 at 07:25 PM.