+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cabela's Glass?

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Cabela's Glass?

Has anyone fooled with the Cabela's line of glass rods? Thinking about something to throw bass flies. I'm going to be hitting a shop in the next couple weeks. Hope they have one I can put hands on. Any guidance?

Thnx.. g
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

Got the 7'6" CGR 5/6 weight rod and fished it most of last summer and fall. Before I bought it I did some lawn casting in the parking lot. I also tried the 7' 4 weight and knew immediately it was not enough rod for the bigger smallies I'm after. The 5/6 puts out a lot of line and is a very nice rod. The cork is decent, the workmanship good and the case it comes in is just an extra bonus. I wish my rod had just a bit more butt to it but I have never regretted my purchase.

Have not handled one personally, but I've heard good reports on them from guys on other boards.

Blog Entries

Just got one in but I haven't played with it yet. I'll have to get back to you. I hope to give it a chance to show off this weekend.

Ed

Blog Entries

Thanks guys. Just checked my bookmark on them and they are on sale + $2 shipping. Dang, I'd like to put my hands on one before I pull the trigger.

Turvy.. sounds like you may have answered one question for me. Probably going to want the 7/8.

thnx.. g
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

I have the 5/6 and the 7/8. I have used the 5/6 with 4,5,6 and 7wt lines, matching the line to the flies I want to cast. I tend to use a 6wt line most of the time for tossing bluegill size poppers or foam bugs. It is a fun rod. I have used the 7/8 with 7 and 8 wt lines. This rod feels a bit slower to me than the 5/6. For me it seems the best match for this rod is a WF7 line with the 8 being useful for close in work with hair bugs and poppers. I like this rod too but not as much as the 5/6. The 7/8 is still my preference for most bass bugs and weighted streamers like Clouser Minnows.

If you haven't fished much glass they may feel like they are a bit weak in the butt section but they are sufficient for most situations. I do find them a bit soft for hauling fish from thick cover but no surprise there. One situation where I do not like these rods is when casting into tight overhanging cover. I find it a bit more difficult to generate sufficient line speed and create the tight loops necessary to get the fly into tight spots. This applies to other glass, grass, and slow graphite so isn't specific to these Cabelas rods.

I like the rods enough that I often have one with me along with my Sage BASS rods. Sometimes I just take the glass rods, depending on my mood or the expected conditions. For the price the fun quotient is high.

The 5/6 has a tight fitting reel seat and it seems that most reels that i have tried with cast reel feet do not fit. My Medalist reels dont fit but an old Ocean City does. Most reels with a machined foot fit fine. There are lots of reels I haven't tried though. The 7/8 has a nice aluminum reels seat that will fit just about any reel. I have a 1495 Medalist or Orvis Battenkill 7/8 Disc reel mounted on it.
    Last edited by tailingloop; 03-19-2012 at 07:25 PM.

I have the 6'6" 4 wt. Sweet as candy.

I have the 7'6" 5/6 and use a 6 wt line and it cast great. It has been my go to rod so far this year. Caught bass up to about 2# and lots of crappie and gills and have been very happy so far. Next is to test it on carp.
    "Next to a healthy 10 pound carp a brook trout can look like a minnow in a clown suit"

+ Reply to Thread