+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cabela's Glass?

Blog Entries

Great help folks.. Good stuff and just what I was hoping for.

Thanks Turvy... I have to admit .. when you said "smallies" - I wasn't thinking *five* pound class smallies. Color me jealous. and a 9# carp should certainly be a test. My 8wt *graphite* rod *is* over-kill for the majority of bass I catch here. I mostly only throw it when I'm using really big baits (most would consider Pike-sized) But I digress - as usual .

Thanks again everyone.

Keep 'em coming.
    Last edited by HideHunter; 03-20-2012 at 02:20 PM. Reason: typo
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

I think you can land a big fish with smaller rods if you fight with the butt of the rod like we are suppose to. The problem with light gear as I see it, is not good for C&R and limits the size of flies needed.
    I have been catching Bass on 4" bunny flies. Something I am not going to cast well with a 5 wt. let alone an E glass...maybe an S or a Hybrid.
    Just my feeling. I was seriously thinking the bigger Cabela's for this reason, but I have a McFarland already and a nice Hardy blank.

Blog Entries

I totally agree Fly Goddess. I've landed two catfish, 25 and 27" on a 3 weight this year.. I do cast a lot of 4-7" flies and many tied on 1/0 hooks. Not only do you have to cast them but, even with a 6wt graphite, it takes a decided (and sometime exaggerated) strip-set to get the hook set - especially on topwater stuff.. Like everyone - I'm looking for that "perfect" rod.
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

+ Reply to Thread