+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Take that bug spray!

Hybrid View

Default Take that bug spray!

Went out on a small lake yesterday and was covered with mosquitoes. Last year I barely saw one. Just a word of warning. Pack the bug spray.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Even though West Nile Virus cases won't start showing up for a while, we all need to remember to protect ourselves from West Nile Virus:

I know that you won't avoid outdoor activity in the early morning and evening hours, so wear long sleeves and pants and use an insect repellent that has been registered with the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

The Center for Disease Control (CDC) recommends products with either DEET (N,N-diethyl-m-toluamide) or picaridin (KBR 3023) as the active ingredients. Products with oil of lemon eucalyptus (p-menthane 3, 8-diol) have also been demonstrated to provide protection similar to low concentrations of DEET.

Also remember that these compounds will be removed with sweat, so re-apply as necessary!

Be careful out there,

Bowfin47
    Medical Entomologist

Good info. Thanks. I can see taking info from the CDC, but the EPA? Err. Sorry, just have a bad taste in my mouth from decisions from the EPA. Just me, but thanks again.

And seriously, eat garlic. It really seems to make us less palatable, or less attractive, to the little beasts. It's made a difference for me. Now I need to find something that works on ticks.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Wulff View Post
    ... I can see taking info from the CDC, but the EPA? Err. Sorry, just have a bad taste in my mouth from decisions from the EPA. Just me, but thanks again.
    Pesticides, including repellents, are regulated under Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA), which is under the jurisdiction of the EPA. FIFRA requires the registration of pesticides by EPA (and each state).

So, like 'em or not it's their bailiwick...

Oh I understand that. I also understand their propensity for agenda

Hi All,

I am planning, hopefully to tie up some mosquitos. As I put in another post, if the mosquitos are going to try to eat on me, then I plan to try to catch some fish on them.

Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf

+ Reply to Thread