Oldfrat,
Have not been online for quite some time so I too am glad that Grrfish resurrected the thread. these types of discussion is the best part of the internet. thank you for taking the time to post these. I guide out of a friends fly shop and also work part time in the off season in the shop. One of my "duties" it to teach fly casting, at first I had much trouble trying to translate the feel and motions of a good cast so a beginner can understand the "why" of the technigues. Now I have a set way I teach beginners, I start by explaining the actual mechanics of the cast, how the rod is a tool to impart the enegry from your arm to the line to place the fly on the target. Once a student know this "why" they become much more open to teaching of the correct methods. The one best thing about an FFF ceritfied instructor is they have a set method of teaching a cast as put forth by the FFF. The one big thing that I have come to relise over the last 30 + years is we are all different in how we cast. The basic motions are pretty much the same but they are different. I have worked the booth at a few fly fishing shows and the last 3 years we have been right by the casting pool. The greatest thing to watch is how the experts. lefty, et all actually cast quite differently it is kind of cool to see. once again old frat thanks.

Steve