+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PROJECT HEALING WATERS outing report

Default PROJECT HEALING WATERS outing report

Well, I worried about the weather for our PHW outing on the Duck River here in Tennessee, but, the Creator smiled on us for both days and it was a huge success! Yesterday, Friday, everyone caught fish and smiles were everywhere! Today, a front put the fish off, but, everyone still had a great time! A big thanks goes to Arrowhead Ranch for allowing us to use their facilties and river access for this. Here are just a few pictures I took:

The reason for the cause:

Our youngest guest:

We had a fly fisher with each vet:

Everyone caught fish:

This gentleman never fly fished before and caught 4 trout. At lunch, he told me he was putting me in his will!!

We had an evening meal by the river:

We had social time:

This gentleman I met while working with the vets at the Vets Hospital and we have become close due to him living close to where I do and we have fished together on several occasions in farm ponds. Unfortunately, he received some very bad news last week about cancer and it has hit me hard. He was able to attend today and I worked hard to put him on fish and thanks to God, he caught 11 trout! His family called his cell phone several times to check on him and he told them, "I am standing in the middle of the Duck River catching trout and having a great time. Now leave me alone!" : )

Last edited by WarrenP; 03-18-2012 at 05:26 AM.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Thanks for posting Warren. Everyone at FAOL is proud of you and your efforts.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

There was no shortage of voulteers to help make this a perfect event.
    The Middle Tennessee Fly Fishers, The Lynchburg Fly Fishing Club, Tim's Fly's and Lies and many of the members wives.
    Here another first time fly fisher. He was one happy Marine with a total of 24 on friday.

Arrowhead ranch sits on a bend in the Duck River with about a mile of river front. Here's Warren working with a coujple of vets with Saltpeter Bluff in the Background. More proof that Ms Betty is right about where Trout live.

Great job, great outting, great people working with great people!

I recntly started tying flies with a Healing Waters group. I highly recommend it if there is a chance you can get involved.
    MW

My hat's off to you gentlemen (and ladies) for hosting our honorable veterans! So good to hear they got on the feeshes too!
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

That beautiful bluff, know as Saltpeter Bluff, was named that because during the Civil War, saltpeter was mined from it. During the winter months, when the leaves are off the trees, you can see several square holes cut into it where they had mined. I would love to explore those shafts, but, they make awlful good places for the copperheads and rattlesnakes to hide! : )
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

It should also be known that 3/4 of those who were volunteers were veterans also!

+ Reply to Thread