+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: OKAY - Last Attempt

Allan,

Do you fish the Llama and other classic steamers much? I have fished classic streamers some, but mostly for warm water fish.

If you do fish them, which patterns do you use most?

I have fished the Mickey Finn more than any other, but hope to fish the others more this summer. A friend and I and our wives will be in Colorado this summer, and I am hoping to tie some of them to fish at least a little bit. I am thinking that some of the ones from this swap should be good choices to fish this summer. (I will tie some to fish with, as I always keep any flies from a swap, and put them in a box of example flies.)

Any advise from you or any of the other swappers would be much appreciated.

I appreciate you sending your version, and think that such is beyond the call of duty, but sincerely appreciate it. Seeing different versions of classic patterns, and being able to put them in my collection of example patterns, is one of the fun things about swaps such as this one that you have put together.

I am hoping that swaps are not becoming things of the past. I try not to participate in very many swaps, because I always have other things to do, not the least of which is tying for my own fishing, and also tying to give flies away. However, it is fun to participate in one or two spaps each year, and favorites include warm water patterns and swaps of classic flies. I had hoped for a crappie fly swap, but that will have to wait for next year for me.

Lately I have been doing most of my tying to give away, some to a friend that I am helping to learn fly fishing, and some for my closest friends son. His son is a flyfisherman, but tends also to pick up a spinning rod when things slow down with a fly rod. My friend and I are working to get him to give up his spinning rod, and our last trip he didn't even take a spinning rod, so progress is being made.

The friend is tying a set of nymphs for his son, and I am tying a set of dries, but now I am thinking about also tying some classic streamers for him as well. My friends son calls me "uncle" and he and his sister are the same as family to me and my wife. So tying a set of flies for him is a labor of love, and I am enjoying it, but it does cut into tying time for my own fishing, and I have too little tying time anyway.

Again, any advise or suggestions from you or any of the other folks on classic steamer/bucktail patterns would be much appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf
    Last edited by Gandolf; 04-29-2012 at 06:57 PM.

Hi Gandolf,

Allow me to reiterate: The Llama I tye is the same as you but given that we probably use materials from different manufacturers or one of us might use a slightly different hook or something else insignificant to the oveerall pattern recipe, then the flies should basically be the same. I just tyed a few using Mustad 3665A hooks. Seem a little long but no big deal. In his book on patterns, Leiser has the fly with eyes.

I don't use streamers often. These come to mind: the Black Nose Dace, Black Ghost, Llama, Woolly Buggers in different color combos, Hornbug. Not many. Never caught a trout on a Mickey Finn.

Anyway, thanks again.

Allan

Sjo Crapels, Kloosterkoolhof 12, 6415 XT, Heerlen, the Netherlands, Europe

Dear Allan and co-swappers,
    I'm sorry that I cannot deliver on time. I know that I don't make many friends this way, but I can't make it in time due to medical problems. Being a longterm diabetic my eyesight went down an so did the use of my fingers in minimotoric movements. Basically I don't see enough and I'm no longer able to steer my fingers as I want to. Why then subscribing to swaps? I allready reduced the quantity, but still not enough. Again I'm sorry to disapoint you.
    Sjo
    Let the fly be with you....

Looks like this swap is over insofar as swappers sending in flies. I will organize the flies into sets and get them in the mail this week. Extra flies you've tyed will be returned.
    This swap started off as an experiment of sorts. I, and maybe some of you, wanted to see if 'swaps' were still a viable activity, if people were sincere in their commitment, if people would communicate honestly, and if a swap could be run smoothly. Or, as some had said, swaps were dead. Now maybe it was the theme of this swap, although I doubt that is true, but only 7 people signed up. Out of those 7, only 5 fulfilled their commitment. 2 waited until the very last day or less to drop out. Based on the overall activity you can draw your own conclusion. Mine is that, on this site at least, swaps have gone the way of the T Rex and the administrators may just as well remove the 'SWAP' section. It's too bad.

Thanks to those who signed on, participated and to who commitment meant more than just a post.

Actually, I quickly separated out the flies and they will be in the mail this afternoon. Not difficult with only 4 mailings. So you should have your flies by the end of this week.

Allan
    Last edited by Allan; 05-01-2012 at 02:54 PM.

Sjo , we will keep you in our prayers and I hope your health returns to you quickly because there are some things more important than flies. You have always been a stand up guy on this board and I for one hold no grudge what so ever. My only disappointment is not getting to see your pattern. Anyone who has had the luck to be in a swap with you know's your work is top notch. As for swap's on this board in general , I remember the day's when someone would post a swap and it was full by the end of the day. You would have to contact the host and and get on a list and hope someone dropped out just to get a spot. I guess it's just a sign of the time's or maybe there's just less people tying for fun. I don't get a lot of use out of salmon streamer's in south Texas but they are a challenge to create and can be a work of art when done correctly. That's why I sit down at the vise , to create something , and usually for fun. Just my two cent's.

Flies arrived today a nice lot and two familiar ones.
    Thank you Allan for your effort and time making it happen and herding cats for this many weeks.
    Hopefully sjo things improve to allow some days of fishing.
    Cheers
    Who is Barry Soetoro?

Flies arrived today. Very nice job everyone and thanks to our host for your efforts on getting the swap together.

Hi All,

Flies arrived Thursday, but I have been out of town, it wasn't very handy to write much of a note so decided to wait, and didn't have time to spend much time to look over the streamers until today.

The swap had a small number of swappers, but the swap was great. Great job all! The flies are super, and a classic streamers swap has got to be on of my favorite choices.

Thanks Allan, great choice for a swap, and you did an excellent job as swapmiester! Thanks for the variety of the Llama, nice job. I like the look of 3665 hook. That hooks really dresses up classic streamers no end. I typically tie mine on classic Mustad 79580s or 9672s, as I like the length to gap ratio and consequently those are the hooks I mostly have, BUT, they just don't look as good as streamers on the 3665s.

Again everyone, thanks, and especially to you Allan.

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf

+ Reply to Thread