+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tying Hooks

Blog Entries

Default Tying Hooks

Hi,

"In the old days, if you were tying a dry fly, it was a "94840". If you were tying a nymph, it was a "3927B". At least that is my recollection - back when everyone used Mustad hooks.

Now, there are so many to choose from, you might get confused.

Today, I was tying some PMD's for a different post. I was using some size #16 Gaimakatsu P 10 hooks which are labeled "Traditional Dry". I went back to the bench to tie another and reached for a hook. I had a box of 100 TMC hooks there - "101 size 16" and labeled as "Dry Fly Straight eye 1XF". I ordered the TMC hooks from Blue Ribbon Flies and just told them I wanted some standard dry flies.

Anyway, when I put it in my vise, I thought it was a size 14.

Here are the two hooks next to each other:

Last edited by Byron haugh; 03-17-2012 at 01:49 AM.

I've noticed this 'trend' with TMC hooks.

Remember that hook sizes are basically 'made up from whole cloth' by each manufacturer. There is no 'standard' as far as sizing goes.

I've always used Mustads 'standard' 94840 hook (3366 for larger hooks) as my guide when deciding what size a hook is to me. Even some of the other 'styles' of Mustads varied widely. I think that was one reason Dr. Fish gave for the recent change, trying to make the sizes more consistent across the line.

I always enjoy it when an angler tells me he's fishing a size 18, then see the fly and find out he tied it on a TMC hook and it's the same size as the Mustad 14 I have....I think it's probably all that 2x wide 1x short, etc., stuff that makes it that way, or maybe it's just that TMC sizes it's hooks differently.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Blog Entries

Think you're right. I believe the gap/gape of the hooks are pretty "standard". It's more the length that the manufacturers vary?

I have noticed this myself. Guess that is why I stick with Mustads. Well that and I'm cheap.
    Well, I ain't always right but I've never been wrong..

rvrwader.blogspot.com

I see it most in the smaller sizes. I talk to guys bragging about tying and fishing a #28 or #32 pattern.....and when I see them..they are identical to a mustad #22 94840. It makes sense that the upper sizes are larger as well.

There's about as much standardization between hook manufacturers as between thread. Uni 6/0 (bonded poly) looks like rope compared to Danville 6/0 (flat nylon); the "ought" designation is pretty arbitrary from one company to the next and confusing to new tyers.

Regards,
    Scott

I agree with you guys. I've been tying over 25 years and I still get confused.

AlanB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    There's about as much standardization between hook manufacturers as between thread. Uni 6/0 (bonded poly) looks like rope compared to Danville 6/0 (flat nylon); the "ought" designation is pretty arbitrary from one company to the next and confusing to new tyers.

Regards,
    Scott
    ...And stuck to by none! 1 more ought indicates half the size. Is any manufacturer's 8/0 1/4 the size of its 6/0?
    With hooks it would be good if we could at least have consistency within a manufacturer's range.

Cheers,
    A.

I suffered with hook sizing issues, which is why I wrote this: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...se20090810.php

I think the difference in shank length is exaggerated, in the photo, by the straight eye on the TMC. The TMC is also listed as "wide gape".

+ Reply to Thread