Quote Originally Posted by Denny View Post
No Pest strips for Conranch Hackle. Al's told me about them at a Fish In we were attending. I also read his article. I had used the dog flea collars but are a bit expensive. The no pest strips not only repel bugs but also kill them, eggs & all.
Yes, cedar smells good and i personally like it in material drawers but for complete coverage with almost no smell offensive to me, I go with the No Pest Strips. I have a piece in every container of my inventory. I can not afford to send out bugs or eggs to any of my customers. They are about 2" x 6" x 1/4 thick. I cut 6 pieces from each new strip. I loosely wrap them in a piece of serran wrap. One of these placed in the bottom of each tub has kept my inventory free.
The only other way that may be better is far beyond the normal fly tiers desire. It is to fumigate with Formaldehyde or Formalin and potassium manganate. This is mixed in a heated cabinet, high humidity, fumigated for 10 hours. This is the only way I can ship hackle to Australia. I have been certified to fumigate using this very expensive and dangerous method of ridding hackle of bugs. So, I will stick to No Pest Strips. Almost everything else will only give you a false sense of security. They are found in stores such as Lowes, Home Depot, etc.
By the way I do not ship to Australia because of their rules about fumigation.

Denny
No-Pest Strips contain DiChlorVos, which is probably the best commonly available chemical agent to KILL KILL KILL any insect pests. Some folks have reservations about the chemical, or about the potency of it, but it works better than just about anything.