materials list:
    Hook: scud heavy wire, #12-14
    Bead: 6/0 Toho flo. orange glass bead
    Thread: Serafil 120
    Tail and Body: pheasant tail
    Rib: 28 ga. copper wire
    Thorax: peacock bronze dubbing of choice

Tie in pheasant tail at bend.

Attach copper wire at bend with wire extending under bead. Wrap thread forward.

Wrap PT forward counter-clockwise, then bring wire forward with clockwise turns.

At the thorax wrap wire in close turns (5 or 6) to the bead. This adds weight and avoids using lead. Tie off and break wire.

Dub thread using the split thread technique or direct dubbing method.

Wrap thorax with dubbing noddle and whip finish behind the bead.
    Last edited by dr korn; 03-16-2012 at 07:38 PM.
    Doug... a.k.a. 55dougie

http://55onthefly.blogspot.com/

Always something you haven't seen before - for all the fly tying demos I've seen, I don't recall anyone tying in the wire ribbing the way you do it on this fly, Doug.

This is another good candidate for the bi-weekly edition FOTW. Neil might even use it twice !!

John
    The fish are always right.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    Always something you haven't seen before - for all the fly tying demos I've seen, I don't recall anyone tying in the wire ribbing the way you do it on this fly, Doug.

This is another good candidate for the bi-weekly edition FOTW. Neil might even use it twice !!

John
    Yeah John, LOL, a few people wanted to see it and I was afraid to submit another FOTW now..... I figured it might sit on the shelf for a while... Anyway, here it is...
    Last edited by dr korn; 03-15-2012 at 07:28 PM.
    Doug... a.k.a. 55dougie

Blog Entries

Maybe this should go elsewhere, rather than sidetracking your fly pattern... but I was always bad about interrupting...

I use silver or gold beads usually and then coat them with Loon Hard Head, often in Flo Orange... They develop tremendous depth and the bead really shines...

Blog Entries

Oh, forgot to mention this comes in part from a tip from Norm Norlander at his demos here in AK. We use tons of egg substitutes... He starts with a metal bead and coats it with hot melt glue while he spins it to keep it round... he gets that great depth with the translucent glue also.

hap, thanks for the tip.....

But - I like the glass. I think it shines brightly and has some translucent qualities that metal just can't have... Maybe it's because I fish this fly as a trailer, only, behind a heavy nymph or other beaded fly to get it down to where it needs to be.... I don't like fishing two flies of the same pattern.... I like the trailing fly to be lighter than the front or point fly so it bounces around back there in the current and such... Fished this way it out fishes the metal orange beads 4 to 1......... IMHO....

+ hint, hint..... I even fish the Fire Fly in the summer behind a hopper, it won't sink your fly and it is deadly on rainbows anytime of the year.... The only negative I've found is folks busting the beads on rocks... otherwise I'll take glass everytime and I tie several other patterns with glass beads as well.

++ I spend way too much time tying flies now let alone painting beads.... when would I fish?
    Last edited by dr korn; 03-15-2012 at 07:34 PM.
    Doug... a.k.a. 55dougie

+ Reply to Thread