+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lightweight waders

Hybrid View

Default Lightweight waders

Any recommendations? Since they will be used mostly for float tubing warm ponds, I'm looking for breathables that are not too hot.

Simms "Headwaters"! $300 well spent and Made in USA! I'm on my third season and absolutely NO issues.

aa
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

Bass Pro White River. Cheap, lightweight. Doing very well!!
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    Any recommendations? Since they will be used mostly for float tubing warm ponds.
    IMHO, round tubes cause leaks in the crotch of waders, I have used Orvis and White River, neoprene and lightweight, not much difference in the live expection of one over the other. I am currently fishing out of a Fishcat (about 3 years) techincally a U shapped tube and have no evidence of wear in the crotch in White River I am currently wearing. When I crawl out after my little inverted adventure I could find no evidence of wear or tears on the knees or other areas. I am very happy with them for the prices.

I did recently fish with a guy who said the White River did not hold up well to "briar busting" necessary to access some streams as well as the Simms he was wearing but he had a deal where he was getting them as wholesale.
    Last edited by Uncle Jesse; 03-19-2012 at 02:15 PM.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    IMHO, round tubes cause leaks in the crotch of waders ...
    I also have a Fishcat, so that won't be a problem. I've got a gift card at Bass Pro, so I'll check 'em out.

simms lt $ 250 well spent

I've been using a set of Cabela's Guide Tech breathables and I am very well pleased with them. Under $200 and quality surpasses the $300 Simms IMO. I had budgeted $350 for waders (already had boots) and looked at everything I could find in that price range. No contest, had to go with the Cabela's GT due to the availability of Tall sizing and price+features+quality=value. Had quite a bit of $$$ left over which made Mama happy.

NO waders which are lightweight will hold up to "briar busting" I don't care who's sticker is on them. I get heartily sick of hearing guides and "pro staff" people gush about how various waders can be abused and mistreated. I am quite certain anyone who works for their money and pays retail prices would not willingly/knowingly "bust" through thorns, brush and snags with $400+ waders.

+ Reply to Thread