+ Reply to Thread

Thread: McFarland Sanded Brown Glass 7'6" 3wt. 3pc. build

Default McFarland Sanded Brown Glass 7'6" 3wt. 3pc. build

I just finished a build on a McFarland Sanded Brown Glass blank last night. It is a 7'6" 3wt. 3pc. rod. Mike's sanded brown glass is probably the best looking glass I've seen. It truly has this "flamed bamboo" like look to it. It is very classy and definitely eye catching. Here are the specs:

Seat: Lemke Cap and Ring hardware in bronze. I turned the insert from a piece of golden spalted maple.
    Grip: 1/2" Flor Grade rings. Overall length is 6". I really enjoy this miniaturized full wells style grip. It is very comfortable and my preferred grip for these ultralight rods.
    Guides: Snake brand black nickel running guides. REC black recoil stripping guide size #8.
    Thread: YLI 50wt. Silk. Color is copper (#183). Finished with a single coat of 2 part epoxy finish (regular build).

I haven't had a chance to cast this one yet, but I have a strong suspicion that it will like both a 2wt. line and/or a 3wt. line. It balances perfectly at the front end of the grip with the fully loaded Abel Creek LA I.

I am headed to the driftless area in about a week and a half, and I anticipate that this will be my "go-to" rod for most of that trip. If anyone has any good recommendations for the driftless area, please feel free to chime in! I've been doing LOTS of research. Vlad very graciously gave me a few excellent leads that I'm currently researching.

I hope everyone enjoys the photos, and I will be updating my thoughts on the rod after I get to spend some time casting and fishing the rod in the coming weeks!

Colt

For whatever reason, the words, simple, classy, and elegant come to mind.

John
    The fish are always right.

That's nice. Real nice.

Thanks guys. Now that the wraps are fully dry I was able to get a few better shots of the rod. I love the contrasting ferrules! They really add a lot to the looks of this rod.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    For whatever reason, the words, simple, classy, and elegant come to mind.

John
    I'll agree ... and add one more, "DARM!"
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Sage

Nice stick. I reall like the "real cork". All that composite stuff I am seeing just does not cut it for me. I would rather see natural cork with a few rings with some imperfections. If you need a field tester, I am available....

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

+ Reply to Thread