+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Weekly Fraser Valley Sport Fishing Column

Hybrid View

1. Default Weekly Fraser Valley Sport Fishing Column

Sport fishing column for March 12 to 19, 2012

I am enjoying this latest series of columns and I hope you are too. One of my responders to last weeks column commented that describing the manufacture of Dacron was too rudimentary a topic for learned anglers. I agree that descriptions of the fundamentals can be tedious, but often there is a need to review them when enlightening a novice.

Take for instance Chironomid fishing; or more properly should we say Chironomid Pupa fishing. When it was the flavor of the month it was touted to be a new and marvelous revelation. In analysis, after the smoke and mirrors had been removed, it occurred to me that it was no more than a new twist on the age old technique of float fishing.

Czech Nymphing was all the buzz a few years ago. When I researched this topic, I found it was one of a series of European nymphing methods listed under the heading of Euro-Nymphing. Each country on the continent has developed their own style to suite their waters. Different than our North American, High Stick Nymphing methods, the Europeans tend to lead their nymphs in fly fisherman's rendition of drift fishing.

When I saw my first Czech Nymph, I said to my college who tied it, "that is the best replication of a caddis lava I have seen." The puzzled look I received from him had me wondering if the fellow had ever taken the time to examine the caddis lava living in or local streams.

Understanding and reviewing the rudiments of all styles of fishing pays dividends, or in this case fish, no mater what convention of angling you hold to.

The report

Fishing on our lower mainland lakes is fair to good. Sun for the weekend, warmer weather and daylight savings time promise improved fishing. For your best success continue to concentrate your fishing close to shore, along the north east sections of your favorite lake Try; Chironomid, bloodworm, Red Spratley, Coachman, Zulu, American Coachman, Professor, Wooly Bugger, Micro Leach, Dragonfly Nymph, Sixpack, Halfback, Doc Spratley or Baggy Shrimp.

The Fraser River back waters are fishing to good for cutthroat. For cutthroat try: Eggo, Egg & Eye Alevin, Rolled Muddler, Tied Down Minnow, Mickey Finn, Stonefly Nymph, Czech Nymph, or American Coachman.

The Stave River is good for steelhead and cutthroat. For steelhead try: Polar Shrimp, Squamish Poacher, Big Black, Flat Black, Popsicle, Kaufmann Black Stone, Eggo, Thor, or Steelhead Spratley.

The Harrison River is good for cutthroat and rainbow. For rainbow try: Big black, Kaufmann Stone, Sixpack, Irresistible, Czech Nymph, Zulu, olive Wooly Bugger, Souboo, or Renegade.

The Chehalis River is fair for steelhead and cutthroat.

The Vedder is good for steelhead and cuttthroat.
    Last edited by fishingnewsman; 03-14-2012 at 03:44 AM.

+ Reply to Thread