+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LED Ring Light

Question LED Ring Light

Has anyone used a Ring Light when photographing flies??
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

My late husband JC did for certain situations...especially live insects, including outdoors where lighting can be very unpredictable. Somewhere there is a photo of him using it for the Hex outdoors, maybe in the Flies Only series. It does work.

Blog Entries

Donald,

Bob Bates, the main person who photographs the Federation of Fly Fishers 'Fly of the Month' uses a lens ring strobe. It is fantastic for close up work, like flies. A bit pricey but considering how great your flies are tied, in my opinion, it would be well worth it to you to have one of the ring strobes.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Not nearly as expensive as they used to be and definitely worth the money. Might I inquire what brand of camera you will be using it on?

I shall be using a Nikon P500.
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

Nice camera but I am not certain you can use a macro LED ring flash on these. You may have to switch to a digital SLR. My high end gear is all Pentax so I am afraid I cannot be of much help to you there.

Eric, there are a number of led ringlights that are constant on for macro use that may fit the P500. I have looked into them as less expensive alternative for a ring flash. Some are priced at around 40 to 50 bucks whch considerably cheaper than a true ring flash. In fact the constant on may be an advantage when setting up for exposure.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Not sure if this is what you are talking about, but I got the Rockler LED ring light magnifier a few years ago. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...FUoZQgodKUz3wQ

I like that it is light weight, killer magnet to mount it plus a clamp. Runs off AC/DC adaptor or AAA batteries.

You could use a flourescent magnifying lamp the one with the circular flourescent bulb and remove the center magnifying glass. Place you camera lens through opening. I recommend for the best color reproduction is to shot in the RAW setting and adjust post production. If you can adjust the Kelvin setting on your camera you can experiment until it is balanced with the light source being used. If you have a color meter you can remove the guess work, but again this assumes you can adjust your camera Kelvin setting.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Donald,
    My bad. I just assumed you were wanting a macro flash ring that attaches to the camera lens. Looks like Fly Goddess has a great set up that may work for you too.

+ Reply to Thread