Below is a story that was relayed to me by my friend Richie. Before season began he and I did some talking on the internet. I sent him some maps and told him where to go to show the high school student a good time.

Amazingly on this young man?s first outing as a trout angler he caught a tiger trout. The odds of catching a tiger trout by a seasoned angler is low but for a first time angler it is astronomical. I think that a purchase of a lottery ticket is in order.

Below is my friend Richie?s post and photos about the opener and the TIGER trout.
????????????????????..
As I was driving from Kenosha Friday afternoon I was thinking to myself that this could be a really dumb idea given the terrible road conditions but I already had the truck packed, flies tied, and ready for tight lines so to say the least?I was committed. Between Kenosha and Janesville, I bet I saw 30 vehicles in the ditch so I was taking my sweet time because best case scenario I was looking at a hurry up and wait situation once I got to the driftless.

I was meeting a high school kid in the area as he has never fished the driftless but always wanted to go. Any who, we fished Tainter, Plum, Knapps, and Big Springs and had a great time. As far as a fish count, I have no idea but I?d argue we caught well over 50?but one definitely comes to mind. I?ll get to that in a few?

As we were walking up the streams I was teaching him about reading water and where to cast. As we came up on a nice stretch of water I said you go ahead and cast on the right side of that push and get ready. Not three rotations later on his spin gear I see the fish smack it.

As the fish started to get closer I noticed something different about this fish and jumped off the high bank and got the fish in the net. At this point I started laughing as I was in disbelief. Here there is a youngster who has never fished the driftless and catches a tiger on his first trip!

Going back to the moment of me netting the fish, Taylor was still unsure why I was laughing as he thought it was a brookie. After a snapping a quick picture and releasing the fish unharmed I said to Taylor?you have no idea how lucky you are! He responded with a grin ear to ear!

Needless to say, it was a great weekend. We caught plenty of fish, explored new water (thanks Len for the recommendations) and made some memories that?ll for surely last many years to come.
Richie Santiago

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos...r-trout-photos