How about hoppers? I'll start with Al Campbell's Foam Hopper http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying...ate/part42.php

First time I fished Soda Butte Creek in Yellowstone (before the crowds) I hit hopper season on the nose and this was the first one I used (hook has a bit of rust on it and the foam's a bit chewed):

Every time I pull one out, it reminds me of those brilliant summer mornings in the Park and the noise the hoppers made when they started revving their engines around noon; sounded like weedeaters. Pounding those big flies against the undercuts and seeing those cutts dart out from the bank or rise up from the bottom to take the hopper; don't think fishing could get any better than that. I like Wally's GFA and Charlie Craven's Charlie Boy a lot, but this one holds lots of memories.
  • Hook: Mustad 9671 #6
  • Thread: Uni Thread 6/0 Tan
  • Rib: tying thread (Al called for copper wire but I just left the tag end of the thread long to save a step)
  • Underbody: Sparkle yarn yellow
  • Body: 2mm foam Tan
  • Wing: Deer Hair
  • Legs: Round Rubber Yellow

About the only changes I've made over the years is to scale back the size (#10-12 seems to work better these days) and tie the legs down in 2 spots to keep them secure. Change the colors to fit your local critters:

Thanks Al for a great fly.

Regards,
Scott