+ Reply to Thread

Thread: EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT SEX - Readers Cast (Gene Murray) - Mar 12, 2012

Blog Entries

Default EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT SEX - Readers Cast (Gene Murray) - Mar 12, 2012

EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT SEX

Now that I have your attention, we will discuss sexual exploits - of the bluegill.

It is pretty well known that I target big bluegills with some regularity. This includes fly gear, ultra-light spinning tackle and through the ice. I often refer to the fact my fishing partners and I rarely harvest mature, male (bull) bluegills. I am sometimes asked, "Why?"

Call them any name you what, I still call the pre-mature male sunfish, "RUNTS". Runts beget more Runts! When all the Giant Male Bluegills are gone, then there will only be Runt Bluegills to go fishing for!

Panfish are fair game 365 days a year.... unlike all the other fish species in Minnesota. Minnesota Open Water Fishing Season does not open until May 12th, but if there is open water there are people fishing on the Bluegill Spawning Beds....

Very few Giant Bluegills remain, and those that still grow to a diameter larger than a dinner plate are becoming fewer with each year...

Put the male Bluegills back, and keep the female Bluegills.... ~Parnelli
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 03-12-2012 at 07:24 AM.
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

Excellent article, Gene!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Sneakers (cockholders) and Satellites (female impersonators) are the bluegill that most need to be caught and kept. These steal fertilization opportunities from the larger males. Unfortunately, they are not as aggressive as the protective males. Most do not grow over hand size and that is a good gauge. If you catch fish during the spawn that size, don't throw 'em back.

+ Reply to Thread