+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OKAY. What kind of swaps are of interest?

Default OKAY. What kind of swaps are of interest?

So what type (Theme) of swap would interest you guys? Or, is there no further interest in swaps whatsoever and regardless of the theme?

Allan

Sjo Crapels, Kloosterkoolhof 12, 6415 XT, Heerlen, the Netherlands, Europe

There's not much I don't like!
    Sjo
    Let the fly be with you....

I'm with you Sjo , doesn't matter much to me.

Hi Allan,

This may not be up the road you are thinking about, and if not that's OK, but I would possibly be interested in a crappie fly/streamer swap.

Regards,

Gandolf

Well guys, it looks like there's not much interest in fly swaps. Or at least no interest that I seem to attract. I happened to look at the names of the 12 swappers who participated in a 'steelhead' swap that was hosted by Stu Farnham some years ago on this site. Heck, I haven't even seen any of those people here in the last year. Maybe most of the swappers who used to participate simply left the site or my original premise is correct. That is, interest in swaps has simply gone by the wayside. Oh well. Maybe some other time.

Allan

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

You're joking, right? I am a fly swap addict.

You name the swap, and count me in......

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Well guys, it looks like there's not much interest in fly swaps. Or at least no interest that I seem to attract. I happened to look at the names of the 12 swappers who participated in a 'steelhead' swap that was hosted by Stu Farnham some years ago on this site. Heck, I haven't even seen any of those people here in the last year. Maybe most of the swappers who used to participate simply left the site or my original premise is correct. That is, interest in swaps has simply gone by the wayside. Oh well. Maybe some other time.

Allan

And I have to say , Gigmaster is a great tyer. I still have a couple of your pom-pom spiders in my collection. Very cool.

I have to admit that the interest in fly swaps has seemed to wane significantly. I believe there are several factors involved. The first seems to be a general feeling of depression since Bassman, JC, and others have passed on. But of course, we should continue in their honor. In fact, since we are talking about ideas for swaps, I was thinking maybe we should get a list of all of our deceased FAOL brothers and sisters, and have a Swap where each of us would pick one of the names, and tie a pattern that they were closely associated with. We would tie one extra fly, to be made into a memorial display for Deanna to place in the FAOL Headquarters. We should do this every 5 years or so. After all, as long as we keep using their patterns, they are still with us, in a sense.

Another factor is the economy. I realize that it doesn't cost much for shipping and materials, but when you are trying to keep your head above water, fly tying is not as big a priority. And there is the associated depression. Hopefully, this will be a self-correcting problem.

And lastly, as far as deadlines, no one is more of a nut about punctuality than I (I am an inactive Marine), but I do realize that many things can happen that are beyond personal control, and allowances should be made (within reason). Also, the swaps are supposed to be fun, not causing pressure, so I see no reason why reasonable accommodations cannot be made for those who require them. No one's life is going to be affected to any degree if a set of flies arrives a week late. And I really don't think that this is much of a factor for the declining interest in swaps, but on the off-chance I am wrong, there is a possible solution (although I am loathe to make it...). A list could be kept of those who are chronically non-compliant, and then, it would be up to the swapmeister whether or not to allow them in his/her swap. And a method for removal of names from the list should be in effect, as well.

Just my opinion. Anyhow, just name the swap, let me know, and count me in. I'm up for anything.
    Last edited by Gigmaster; 03-14-2012 at 08:03 PM.

I do have a few suggestions for some interesting swaps. How about one for each persons version of AElean's Macedonean Fly, circa 200 AD. Or maybe the 12 patterns from Dame Julianna Bowers "A Treatise of Fishinge wythe an Angle", circa 1496? And lastly, patterns from Izzak Walton, and Charles Cotton, from "The Compleate Angler" circa 1640?

Of course, allowances must be made for the unavailability of some of the original materials, and the impracticality of ancient techniques, but these should be doable in some fashion.

Challenging enough?

Hi Gig,

Allow me to opine on why swaps have, or at least appear to have, become passe'. As you identified, some swappers have passed away. Many, and I mean most of the early swappers from this site, appear to no longer participate here, and I go back about 12 years with FAOL. As evidence, I can go back through the 2 dozen plus swaps I was involved in here and I'm sure 90% of the swappers are gone from this site. Over the years swappers got tired of getting 'invented' fly patterns by participants. Some of us participated so we could get quality patterns for replicating and the 'invented' stuff was considered junk. Yes, life happens and sometimes swappers have emergencies that delay their tying. However, nuts like me would rather learn about those situations and suggest the swapper leave the swap rather than keep everyone else waiting. Then there were other swappers who simply 'forgot' or didn't respond to reminders or answer emails. Maybe people simply got tired of swapping? Again, just my opinion, $ costs have nothing to do with the lack of participation.

Maybe someone will come up with an interesting theme and draw a crowd. I'll keep checking and see if someone identifies one that interests me But I don't see enough interest in swaps anymore. Maybe 1 on 1 swaps will be the new methodology?

Allan

+ Reply to Thread