Quote Originally Posted by teachmarkey View Post
Panfisher, I can't speak to the specifics of why yours got the virus anyway, but one and all are advised to keep their anti-virus programs up to date, no matter what they use. I still stick with my AVG recommendation.

And as an FYI, there is no rhyme or reason to which sites may contain these viruses. It's different than viruses spread by email attachments. I LOVE the Barney loop idea, too!!!
Anti Virus tools work by scanning files and comparing contents against a signature file. The signature file is the file your AV program updates from the vendor automatically weekly or even more frequently from the vendor. The signature file contains the digital "signatures" of known or predicted viruses and other malware. The bad guys continually modify their stuff so the AV programs can't detect them. When a new version of malware gets into the wild it may be a couple of days before the AV program vendors detect it and update their signature files. So dispite having up to date AV program there may be a window when you are susceptible to the latest version of a virus. Where I work we have some of the most sophisticated protection mechanisms available but a virus still occasionally gets through.