Thread: Virus Warning for Fly Fisher People

Threaded View

Default Virus Warning for Fly Fisher People

My friend was givien a Bottom Line Fishing Buddy 2255 fish finder but no manual. When he tried to find one on internet...his computer broke down. I was not aware of this and he asked me to find him one.

In a search for the exact name I show in the first sentence....I selected one of the reasonable looking links and clicked on it....and wallah! I saw a virus pop up. It is the one that says "your computer is infected...click HERE to fix it. Shows about 6 Trojans in a window......Then it messes up your computer and you have to pay them I think to get computer back up!

I knew about this virus and immediately did a control/alt/delete and "end program". Powered down computer, powered back up and ran an antivirus scan on it. Computer worked for a week and I thought all is well. Then it quit. Won't power up and says Windows Explorer has an error and will shut down. Computer shop has tried every thing he knows....and says hard drive is bad. Think virus did this as I have a 12 year old computer I used to used every day and the hard drive still good. Don't think my 4 year old laptop hard drive just wore out.

Anyway here is a good link to said manual. http://www.gps-info.com.ua/wp-conten...al_fb_2255.pdf (kindly provided to me by a fellow FAOL'er. I will post his name and give him credit....for the moment I don't remember his exact handle.) But I thank him for it. Just went and looked him up. It was flyfisherjoe who provided the GOOD link for the manual. I hope he does not mind me telling the world about his actions and handle....but I wish to give him credit for the help and thank him a lot....publicly. In light of the problems incurred....very very good of him to step out there and give us a good link. Thank you mucho Mr. flyfisherjoe. Very very good of you to go to the trouble to help other FAOL'ers....on a risky issue....in my opinion.

CAUTION....BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL IN SEARCHING THE NET FOR FISHFINDER MANUALS. YOU WILL GET THE VIRUS IF YOU CLICK ON THE WRONG LINK.....and sorry....due to the mess I do not remember which link I clicked on that did me in. And BTW....."NOW" I find out that this is what happened to my friend! He had to take his computer to 5 different people to get his fixed. I don't think he realized where he got the virus that ruined his or he would have warned me.

Bottom Line...pun intended....I would recommend you do not search for electronic fish finders on the net. Better to post on FAOL and ask for help.

Apologize for length of msg.

(never ten words or less....unless talking to my wife....and cannot do that anymore till I get to heaven)
    Last edited by Whitewolf; 03-09-2012 at 02:14 PM.