+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: anyone help? (knots)

At least your muscles have memory, sometimes mine have dementia! Just keep on keeping on, John.

Quote Originally Posted by spoof85 View Post
    Scott, i always do half-hitch's throughout, safer that way!
    That seems like a good idea. Could you (or anyone else) elaborate on this?
    "I often do not start fishing until the cool of the evening..."
    Norman Maclean: A River Runs Through It

Quote Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
    I think if you are wrapping left handed, you can just follow the directions for the clockwise whip finish.
    i see what u are saying, but i wrap counter clockwise

Quote Originally Posted by Fishing Jill View Post
    That seems like a good idea. Could you (or anyone else) elaborate on this?
    i like to alot on nymph hooks, there shape always seems to want to drop the thread off the end, example: start normal lock your thread down, cut the tag, tie in chenille, quick wrap thread forward to where u want to end the body, half hitch, wrap chenille, half hitch, wrap hackle...... you get the idea lol
    i do it constantly with spun deer hair bodies... however i think u almost have to... hair, spin, pull everthing back, 2 wraps, 2 half hitches... repeat...
    spoof
    Last edited by spoof85; 03-09-2012 at 12:43 PM.

I've never used the Thompson finisher but check out this page here on FAOL:

http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying...ners/part6.php

If you watch the video the demo is based on a right-hand tyer and yes, its turned in a clockwise direction. Now, if you were to turn everything around (fly points to the left) you'd now have the orientation of a left hand tyer. And the whip finisher would be in your left hand.

At this point can't you wrap the finisher in a counter-clockwise direction i.e the same direction that you've been wrapping your thread all along?
    Take Care ...
    Steve
    \><((((((*>

Quote Originally Posted by skondolf View Post
    I've never used the Thompson finisher but check out this page here on FAOL:

http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying...ners/part6.php

If you watch the video the demo is based on a right-hand tyer and yes, its turned in a clockwise direction. Now, if you were to turn everything around (fly points to the left) you'd now have the orientation of a left hand tyer. And the whip finisher would be in your left hand.

At this point can't you wrap the finisher in a counter-clockwise direction i.e the same direction that you've been wrapping your thread all along?
    no, if u notice when he puts his finger on the finisher to release the thread, he rotates counter-clockwise... trust me ive tried, it slips off, or if u are successful when u go to release the thread u lock it onto the shaft instead of the open part of the S... damn... that's hard to explain without visual aid.. lol

Spoof,

I have a Thompson whip finisher.

I'm right handed but I wrap my thread 'backwards' to what every book/manual recommends or shows. Always have.

I just use the whip finisher in the same direction I'm wrapping the thread. Works fine.

Don't get too caught up in the directions. The whip finish is just wrapping thread over itself to lock it in place. Every tool I've ever used for this will do it in either direction.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Quote Originally Posted by spoof85 View Post
    Allan, learning to wrap everything clockwise would be awkward, im left handed so the vise and eye of hook are too the left...
    spoof,

You didn't say you were 'left handed'. Makes a difference as long as you are consistently winding the thread away from your body. That being the case, just use the whip finisher the same as directed going the same direction as your thread wraps. As for the 1/2 hitch, I don't use that knot except between the bunches of when spinning deer. I may on rare occassion use it at other times. However, again it should be with the same directional turn as your normal winds of thread.

Allan

I agree with Allen. All wraps should go the same way, generally away from you - up and over the hook, whether the head of the vice is facing right or left.

BTW, if you see Charlie Craven's videos (he is a left hander) he uses a Matarelli whip finisher.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Just use half hitches, On many smaller flies that's all i use with a bit of head cement.

+ Reply to Thread