+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: anyone help? (knots)

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Sanders View Post
    Spoof,

I'm right handed but I wrap my thread 'backwards' to what every book/manual recommends or shows. Always have.

I just use the whip finisher in the same direction I'm wrapping the thread. Works fine.
    Same with me- When I learned to tie, I didn't have anyone teach me there was supposedly a CORRECT direction to wrap. I can tell you that many thousands of fish didn't care which the hell way my thread was wrapped. I just whip finish in the same direction as my wraps. Never had an issue with it at all.

You're over-thinking this way too much.

I've tied at a few seminars where "instructors" have gotten quite agitated, insisting I'm "Doing it backwards!" even though my flies usually look better than most others.
    Last edited by jszymczyk; 03-09-2012 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Sanders View Post
    Spoof,

I have a Thompson whip finisher.

I'm right handed but I wrap my thread 'backwards' to what every book/manual recommends or shows. Always have.

I just use the whip finisher in the same direction I'm wrapping the thread. Works fine.

Don't get too caught up in the directions. The whip finish is just wrapping thread over itself to lock it in place. Every tool I've ever used for this will do it in either direction.

Buddy
    i have tried, many times... i cant figure out how to do the Thompson counter clockwise....
    just to clarify with everything said in this thread: none of my flies have ever fallen apart due to poor thread wraps....
    mainly wondering if reversing the thread would shorten there lifespan... and so far im guessing..... yes lol
    spoof
    Last edited by spoof85; 03-10-2012 at 02:48 AM.

Spoof,

Trying to 'reverse' the thread direction so you can use a tool that doesn't work properly for your tying isn't a good idea.

If you can't get the Thompson to work for you, for whatever reason, get a tool that does work for you.

Try bending/modifying the Thompson. If that doens't work, go to a fly shop and try a different one.

Make one that works for you. You can get stainless steel wire rod at any hobby shop, or stainless welding wire is available at any welders supply. A pair of pliers, a file, duct tape for a handle and some time is all it takes. (Practice making the shape with old coat hangers until you find the one that works).

The first whip finish tool I ever saw was simple loop of light dacron tied onto the end of a short piece of 1/8 inch dowel. You layed the loop onto the fly, wrapped the thread over it, place the tag end of the thread through the loop, and pulled it through. Works with either hand. If I was making one today, I'd use gel spun for the loop because it's slicker.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

+ Reply to Thread