+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Aftermarket Sole Stability?

Default Aftermarket Sole Stability?

Hi,

What are your recommendations for an inexpensive way to add stability to my boots?

I have a perfectly good pair of Bean wading boots with a basic sole (no felt, no studs). Other discussions seem to have focused on buying a completely new pair, which I can't afford. What are your feelings about various stabilizing systems that fit over a boot? Brand/price suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks!
    Hugh

I've got an old pair of Dan Bailey stream cleats like these that I used to slip over my felt sole boots:

They worked pretty well, although at $79 these days, probably a bit much. I've borrowed Korkers strap-ons and they were very good (better than the Bailey's); seen them for $69 on eBay. You could always get carbide studs and screw them into your boots, or the screws that motorcycles use for ice racing (don't wear as well as the carbide but a lot cheaper and easy to replace)

Regards,
    Scott

The easiest and cheapest thing to do would be to find a piece of outdoor carpet, cut it to the shape of the bottoms of your boots, and then glue it on using Barge (or comparable) waterproof cement. You might need to grind the bottom of the soles down a bit first to make them flat on the bottom before gluing on the carpet. You can also buy a replacement felt kit to do the same thing.

Alternatively, Scott's suggestions are also something you could do. Or, Simms sells screw-in (I think they are carbide) studs, that you should be able to get from any Simms dealer (fly shop). You want to make sure the soles of your boots are thick enough for the studs, however, before screwing them in of course.

Either felt or studs are much better than plain rubber soles, but you're probably already aware that felt is being outlawed for use in some states, and (in my opinion) walking in studded soles is less comfortable than walking on plain rubber or felt soled boots.

John
    Last edited by John Rhoades; 03-08-2012 at 05:22 PM.

If your Bean boots have an Aqua Stealth sole you don't need to do anything to them. If they are "cleated" soles, then screwing in studs might be your best option, providing you don't want to got the felt route. If you can't afford the $20 for the Simms carbide studs, go to your local hardware store and get some hex head screws. As already mentioned, make sure they won't go all the way through the sole when screwed in. The may not last as long as the Simms, but they are less expensive and can be replaced when worn down.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

One other option that's inexpensive is to look the studs used on motorcycles for ice racing. Large quantity low price.

the cycle stauds are no cheaper than what boot companies sell. however, i not know if they will outlast the boot company's studs. you can find differnt length studs here check out the different catagories if you want longer spikes.

http://www.gripstuds.com/hiking_boots/hiking_boots.html

https://koldkutter.com/catalog/produ...293479846f07fa

cycle studs are $24.00 for 250; Simms carbide studs are $30.00 for 20 - when my Simms studs go tango uniform, I'm going for the Koldcutters

Regards,
    Scott

Use aluminum sheet metal screws. When they wear out-replace them. Save a ton of money.

Dave

These are great ideas, everyone. Thank you once again for your help!

Browse thru the various ice studs offered for motorcycle racers . . . untitled3.jpg

+ Reply to Thread