Sport fishing column for March 5 to 12, 2012

The fishing I did last week, with my comments on tippet, netted a few strikes. In answer to some of my responses, I concede that there is a place for tippet in the gear of some anglers. Since tippet is a component of the many styles of fishing leaders; I personally would be more excepting of it's name if it were used a prefix, i.e. leader tippet. By calling this product leader tippet instead of just tippet I feel the terminology would make the product self explanatory and easier to understand for novice for anglers.

Next term, strike indicator: What is a strike indicator? It is a device you attached to your line to help you see when a fish takes your fly/lure/bait. In the dark ages of the late 50s when I started fishing we used floats for this. I first heard of strike indictor fishing while reading fly fisherman magazine in the 80s. It was said to be a miraculous new innovation. At that time practitioners were using yarn treated with fly floatant or stick on pieces of closed cell foam. I asked; why not use a small float? The suggestion was regarded as sacrilegious. Today one of the many styles of strike indicators offered in fly shops, are miniature copies of the push button floats we used in the 60s.

Fly Line backing: Fly line backing, is a line that you put on your fly reel before your fly line, to give extra line for the times that a fish runs past the length of your fly line. This product is most commonly made of Dacron material, which is made from polyethylene in factories like the DuPont Company. Here is my question; why is Dacron backing generally more expensive than Dacron trolling line, when both products come off the same roll, in the same factory? Further more why does the price varies, for the same product with the same tensile (pull before breaking) strength, depending on packaging label? Generally both Dacron trolling line and backing are made in the standard black and white, change the color and the price goes up. Personally, I question why one would pay the extra expense for the exotic colored backing when it makes no difference to the fish.

The report

Fishing on our lower mainland lakes is fair to good. As I write this the sun is making a reappearance; finally. Now that March is here and the days are getting longer, our lake fishing should steadily improve toward high season expectations. Fishing close to shore, along the north east sections of your favorite lake should help. Try; Chironomid, bloodworm, Coachman, Zulu, American Coachman, Professor, Wooly Bugger, Micro Leach, Sixpack, Halfback, Doc Spratley or Baggy Shrimp.

The Fraser River back waters are fishing to good for cutthroat. For cutthroat try: Eggo, Egg & Eye Alevin, Rolled Muddler, Tied Down Minnow, Mickey Finn, Stonefly Nymph, Chez Nymph, or American Coachman.

The Stave River is good for steelhead and cutthroat. For steelhead try: Polar Shrimp, Squamish Poacher, Big Black, Flat Black, Popsicle, Kaufmann Black Stone, Eggo, Thor, or Steelhead Spratley.

The Harrison River is good for cutthroat.

The Chehalis River is good for steelhead and cutthroat.

The Vedder is good for steelhead.