+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Brachycentrus Caddis

Blog Entries

Default Brachycentrus Caddis

Hi,

Getting ready for June in Island Park, Idaho. I believe the Brachycentrus Caddis will be out? Do the colors look right? This is a female egg-layer.
    Thanks,
    Byron

Byron,

The color with the egg sac looks fine...whatcha' got in your arsenal to match the sub-surface run of the female ???

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Byron, nice tie. I'm assuming it's a size 14 +/-? I would trim the bottom hackle so this fly rides right in the surface film as that is how the naturals look when dropping those eggs in the evening. I also use a more greenish (chartreuse) color for the egg sack, but the one you show looks pretty good. Let us know how it works. That is a killer opportunity for some great fish, especially tight up against the dam in that slack-water eddy. Good luck.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Blog Entries

Thanks guys. Will tie some with the chartreuse egg sack!

AlanB Guest

Can't help with this insect, never seen one.
    What I can offer is a little tip with egg sacks or tags of any kind.
    After some use a tag or egg sack can spread around the bend. To stop this leave either the tag end of the tying thread or floss from the tag hanging out of the "back" of the tag. Once you have made the tag bring the loose end over the top and tie it down under the rest of the dressing.
    Cheers,
    A.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kglissmeyer View Post
    Byron, nice tie. I'm assuming it's a size 14 +/-? I would trim the bottom hackle so this fly rides right in the surface film as that is how the naturals look when dropping those eggs in the evening. I also use a more greenish (chartreuse) color for the egg sack, but the one you show looks pretty good. Let us know how it works. That is a killer opportunity for some great fish, especially tight up against the dam in that slack-water eddy. Good luck.

Kelly.

Kelly, are you talking about Island Park Reservoir dam? I sure caught a big rainbow in there one summer on a Stonefly Dry. But, I was fishing in the current. The take really surprised me. Given the heavy water and the size of the fish, it was quite exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    Kelly, are you talking about Island Park Reservoir dam? I sure caught a big rainbow in there one summer on a Stonefly Dry. But, I was fishing in the current. The take really surprised me. Given the heavy water and the size of the fish, it was quite exciting.
    Yes. In between the big tunnel on the west and the newer power plant to the east, against the dam is some slack water that eddies back towards the power plant and when those caddis start hitting the water in the evening the big fish show up and it can be pandemonium! I've seen some of the biggest noses ever right there during the month of June when the caddis are dropping eggs.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Blog Entries

PT:

Was thinking about your question......... I use a soft hackle for rising pupa. One of my most productive flies. As to the Diving Caddis: Once she is an adult the metamorphis is complete. So, instead of a different design for the diving caddis, why not just add some lead free wire weight to the hook under the upper portion of the body? Just enough to get it to sink.

Not pretty to look at, because the only lead-free "lead" wire I have right now is for big nymphs so it causes a problem in dimension, but it will surely get this lady down in the water column.

Or, tried one lashing the wire parallel to the hook shank.

Last edited by Byron haugh; 03-08-2012 at 12:12 AM.

I like this one because the CDC traps air bubbles...and it may be fished dead drift - deep or on the surface...

CDC SPENT CADDIS... (Jim Schollmeyer)...

HOOK: TMC 900 BL, #16-#20

THREAD: Tiemco 16/0, Brown

EGG SAC: Bright Green Dubbing.I like Spirit River Fine and Dry Chartreuse

BODY: Dark Olive Dubbing.I use Stalcup?s Micro Dry Fly BWO, Olive for Eastern Sierra waters

THORAX: Brown-ish dubbing

WING: Dark Dun CDC or color to match natural

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

+ Reply to Thread