Thread: George Grant copyright question

Threaded View

Default George Grant copyright question

George Grant has inspired the collector's instinct in many of us. I've got several spiral bound manuals he self published, plus a hard bound copy of "The Master Fly Weaver" I paid too much money for on EBay. Plus about a dozen small paper backed booklets I bought from the Big Hole River Foundation. I also have two of his flies, that I bought directly from George. I paid $5 bucks each in 1979 and thought I was being a spendthrift. I also have three or four audio cassettes George recorded in his own voice. I bought them from George at TU "Fly Fishing Fair" back in the late 1970s (I organized the fly tying that year).

Almost nobody has those cassettes. And George himself is gone. I could probably turn those cassettes into MP3 files and either give them away or sell them. But what about copyright? Do these still belong to his family? Perhaps I should call someone at the Big Hole River Foundation. They'd probably love to sell those cassettes as a fund raising tool. He tells a pretty good story--yarns about Jack Boehme, Franz Pott and others.
    Last edited by pittendrigh; 03-05-2012 at 01:54 PM.