+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pedal Kayaks and Fly Fishing

Hybrid View

Default Pedal Kayaks and Fly Fishing

Hi Gang:
    I have been thinking about a pedal kayak (Hobie or Native Watercraft) for my fly fishing. I have a couple of sit in kayaks and a solo canoe I have fished from for years but am not really happy with them. I basically am tired of alternate paddling and casting as I am blown around Midwestern lakes. Similarly, while anchors work they don't help when I am trying to cover substantial shoreline searching for fish. My concern with the pedal kayak is the idea of the flyline being constantly entangled in the pedal mechanism. There is always lots of loose line underfoot when fly fishing. It is one thing to dump it onto my feet in a canoe, but another to get it near those pedals. Does anyone have any experience?
    David

pontoon boat with electric motor.....
    sandfly/bob
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215
    I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing ghillie..

I have a hobie Revo and I used to own an outback. I bought them for the exact reason you are looking at them. I have never had the line get in the pedals. I have had the line get caught in the fins once from a fish going under the boat, but it didn't prove to be much of a problem getting the fish off. From time to time I will carry a towel in my lap and strip the line into that. I had a regular SOT before and I got tired of the paddle and cast routine. I have been very happy with my Hobie. I mainly fish inshore salt water.

Duncan

If you fish thru a lot of shallow water then by all means have fun!

As far as shallow water, a pontoon will go shallow. My only question on the Peddle boats, I thought they just went forward. Can you make them go backwards, because that is what I prefer when fly fishing.

The Native's can go backwards or forwards. The Hobie only go forward. I am more of a kayak fan (whitewater, sea kayaking, camping, racing, etc.) so I am inclined to stay with a kayak over a pontoon and would just as soon not have to deal with a motor.
    David

I reached the same conclusion, Coach; I use my sculling paddle after I get close to where I want to fish. I almost always fish tenkara these days, so can easily cast and scull at the same time.

Unlike you, I do not break down my kayak paddle, just lay it athwart the kayak above my lap. There is no loose line to tangle with the paddle because of tenkara. My little kayak is only 8 ft. long, and stowing the broken-down paddle would pose a problem.

+ Reply to Thread