David, I have been fly-fishing from a sit-in kayak for many years so I can appreciate your frustration with alternating between the paddle and the flyrod. In an attempt to alleviate this problem, I bought a standard wooden paddle that is about 30 inches long from BPS. Now, I only use the long, double-bladed paddle to reach the spot where I want to begin fishing. Once there, I break the long paddle down and stow it under the front deck of the kayak. While fishing, I use the short paddle with one hand, like a sculling paddle. This allows me to maneuver the boat slowly along a shoreline and comfortably fish at the same time. When I am not using the short paddle I simply rest it across the gunnels of the cockpit. When I need to move the boat, I put down the rod, pick up the short paddle and make a quick adjustment in my position. Within a few seconds, I am fishing again. This system works well and allows me to thoroughly fish shoreline cover at a relaxed and efficient pace. Since going to this method, I have caught more bass and bream than I did before and I no longer experience the hassle of dealing with the long paddle while fishing. So, rather than buying a new kayak, I suggest you pick up a short paddle and give this method a try first. You might find that it works for you and you could save some money as well. Good luck. -Coach