+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: George Grant style ....

Arrow George Grant style ....

.... Pumpkin and Sage Grouse ....

.... tied by Tom Harman ....

.... of Dillon MT at the Grizzly Hackle in Missoula today.

Had the rare opportunity to watch Tom tie this George Grant style fly during the annual Grizzly Hackle / Simms turkey sandwich day festivities.

Tom was a personal friend of George for many, many years and learned to tie this style of fly from George. I've seen a George Grant style fly tied only one other time, about five years ago, by Barney Kohler of Idaho Falls. These are not overly complicated flies to tie, but do take a lot of patience, and a bit of skill to do the woven ( elk mane ) hackle.

Tom was kind enough to present this fly to me at the end of the demonstration. Tomorrow, I'm going to present it to some trouts. Stay tuned for pix of the best part of a century of fly tying history stuck in the jaw of a modern day wild trout.

John
    The fish are always right.

That is one beautiful fly. I hadn't heard of George Grant style. Thanks for the intro and the info. Luke
    Separate your observations from your preconceptions. See what is, not what you expect.

Blog Entries

John,
    I corresponded with George Grant before his passing. I have some of his flies. I think I have about everything he wrote, including his little pamphlets which preceded his book. He was a very nice and helpful man.

What is the name of his book?
    Never mind. Wikipedia:
    • Master Fly Weaver (1971); special edition reprinted in 1981.
    • Montana Trout Flies (1972); special edition reprinted in 1981.
    Last edited by Luke McLeod; 03-04-2012 at 12:04 AM.
    Separate your observations from your preconceptions. See what is, not what you expect.

Blog Entries

Exactly! Big hard cover books. In addition, he had a series of small pamphlets. I think the Big Hole Foundation may still sell some of his books and perhaps some of his flies. I know that he donated money-making things to the Foundation for fund raising.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    Exactly! Big hard cover books. In addition, he had a series of small pamphlets. I think the Big Hole Foundation may still sell some of his books and perhaps some of his flies. I know that he donated money-making things to the Foundation for fund raising.
    Tom mentioned that George sold these flies in the 1930's for 35 cents. Back then a dozen regular flies cost 35 cents.

Today, you would expect to pay at least $25, and more likely about $50, for a fly tied in the authentic Grant style by a competent tier. It's probably been a long time since one of these flies was actually fished. Stay tuned.

Originals tied by George Grant, if you could find any for sale, would be worth BIG BUCKS.

I believe that in the fly fishing section of the Museum of the Rockies in Bozeman there are some Grant style flies tied and donated by Barney Kohler, of Idaho Falls.

John

Blog Entries

I have a brade of his flies. Will post a photo if you like

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    I have a brade of his flies. Will post a photo if you like
    Please do.

Actually, I'm thinking about having a go at tying one, or more. Just need to collect some tying materials that I don't have on hand.

John

AlanB Guest

Having done a little research I can see that style of body working, really like it. The hackle, however, seems like a lot of unnecessary work. Cut and stack the hair, spin it round the hook shank tips forward, and fold it back. Without taking a razor blade to the fly, I'd defy anyone to tell the difference.

Cheers,
    C.

Blog Entries

Last year at the Federation of Fly Fishers International Fly Fishing Fair, they had a class on tying George Grant style flies. It was well attended. I don't know if they are going to be offering that again this year but it would be a good class. By the way, this year the event will be in Spokane, WA on July 12/14.

Larry ---sagefisher---

+ Reply to Thread