+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It begins...

Blog Entries

Thanks gentlemen.. If God hadn't meant us to eat fish he wouldn't have given us fly tackle and forks.

Can't catch a big bass to save my butt. Thought I had one today.

2012FirstCat.jpg

27" - Fun anyway. Tomorrow's another day.
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

Don't feel bad about the cat. I was doing alittle casual FFing a few days ago for bluegills and landed a 10# drum with my old Far and Fine 5wt! Was fishing a black and chartruese cone head bugger on a sink tip. I pick up a few by-catch channels when fishing buggers just of the bottom too.

aa
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

Blog Entries

aa... lol.. oh believe me. I don't feel a bit bad. I'm most decidedly an equal opportunity angler. I'll fish for anything that pulls back. Hey! those drum *pull*. I'll bet that was a riot.

I had a handful last nite. We're enjoying unseasonably warm weather here. Buddy and I took our wives to a pond last night and they were having a ball catching crappies on spinning gear. I took the 3wt over on a point and was catching a few fish. Then, everything "stopped". Ended up landing a 25" cat on a #10 Boa Leech. I soft-touched him pretty good - just kept the rod parallel to the water and opposite whatever direction he ws headed. I don't think he knew he was hooked for the first half of the fight. Of course, I didn't have the camera. Got a pic on the phone but don't have technology (or saavy) to get it off.

Wind's blowing again today. Who'da thought?
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

If you don't enjoy catching a nice catfish on a flyrod, you either have a phobia about catfish or you don't really like fighting fish. I was at a favorite warm water lake using a 3 wt. slung a wooly worm under a limb on a button willow and knew fairly quick I had a large catfish. Glanced at my watch, 15 minutes later I grabbed its lower jaw. I allowed it to tow me around in my tube a bit.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

Uncle Jesse, that sounds like a different sort of trolling motor from what Bass Pro offers.
    Congrats to all who have been catching fish, either with LDR or otherwise.

Ed

Blog Entries

Man, UJesse.. I agree whole-heartedly. I've caught a number of cats and I *love* it. I have one of those little one man-ers and my PB was 30" and came on my 3weight. Towed me around forever.

and... Speaking of PBs, I think I may have a new one. Not my biggest crappie - but I believe my biggest on fly tackle.

2012PBCrappie.jpg

14 1/2" on the 3wt and a Boa Leech. I released this one.

My big bass for the year still continues to elude me.. I'm gonna win. I promise.

Blog Entries

Had myself a day today.. fished for 4 hours in the rain. Non-stop action - 'gills, crappie, bass and one nice catfish.

I jumped on the "purple" bandwagon and caught my best 'gill of the year, so far - 10 inches.

201210ingill.jpg

BIG fish, Gene! You are on a ROLL this year! Keep it goin'!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Blog Entries

How about a 30" channel cat? that was fun on the 5wt.

201230Channel.jpg

BEAST catfish! I don't recall ever catching cats on flies THIS early in the season! What a bizarre year...
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread