+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock I

Hybrid View

Default Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock I

Does anyone know about the Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock I ?

I wanted to get the I, for a 3 weight.

Any personal reviews of the reel, or other BBS reels would be appricated !

thanks
    Mark G

I have the BBS II on my Winston Ibis 7'6" for 3 wt. It balances very nicely to that rod. I think a BBS I might be a bit light and small for my Ibis, but it might work out for the rod you have.

I consider the BBS reels the best value on the reel market. Good looking, light, very well made, and hold a reasonable amount of backing and the appropriate weight DT line.

You can pay more and get less, but I doubt that you can pay less and get more.

John
    The fish are always right.

I also have a BBS II on my 4 weight. I'm one of those folks who thinks that the reel is the least important piece of gear you can buy when it comes to catching trout. But I have to say that I really love this reel for quality, performance and value. I'm glad I bought it.

I too own a BBS II, and I'm totally pleased with it. I use it on both a 7' 4 weight boo, and a 7 1/2' 4/5 weight graphite. It is a machined reel and very smooth in performance and drag. The tolerances are well within the acceptable range. I've found it to be very rugged and at the same time, visually pleasing. If I need another reel, I'm sure it will be a BBS, as I find the Battenkill Disc is no longer offered on their website. I have two of those and they have proven to be bullet-proof and reliable as well.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I have 3 of the reels in 3 sizes I II and III. I think they are good reels for the money. The only thing that I would add is that the I is a VERY small reel. I use the II on my 8'6" 3 wt and it does well. If at all possible, take your rod with you and pick the model that balances your rod. Good luck on your search.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

I completely agree with Kaboom. The BBS I is really small. The BBS II is likely a better fit for a 3wt. But if your 3wt is very small and light, the BBS I might be the option to go with.
    I would check out the I & II side by side, and on your rod if possible.

The BBS reels are really a good value for the money. Very solidly made and a good drag system. The only thing that I do not care about them is that you really can't palm the reel very well. I like to reel in excess line by spinning the spool quickly with the side of my hand....and I can't do that with the BBS. But that being said, I own about a half dozen BBS reels and probably close to a dozen spare spools.

One nice thing about the BBS I is that it has a real drag on it. A lot of reels that size may not have one. The Bass Pro's White River Classic Ultra Light Fly Reel costs $100 and it just has a click pawl that offers no drag adjustment.

There's my 2 cents.....go check out the BBS I & II side by side if you can.

Brian

guys,

how is the drag? I realize its only a 3wt, but ?

thanks for the responses.

I have a BBS I on an Avid 2wt and it's a fun little outfit for panfish and even smaller trout. I have an extra spool and have used it on a 3wt I have but not all that often. I usually use my 2wt if really going light or bump up to a 4 or 5wt.

I've found the drag on the reel to be fine but to be honest I haven't tangled with anything that really has pulled all that much. I'm sure it's smooth under pressure though.
    Take Care ...
    Steve
    \><((((((*>

Quote Originally Posted by markgraumlich View Post
    ...how is the drag? I realize its only a 3wt...
    Don't have a clue. Can't recall ever having a fish on the reel while using the Ibis / BBS II combination.

It's certainly good enough to prevent tangles when you are stripping off line quickly.

John
    The fish are always right.

Quote Originally Posted by markgraumlich View Post
    guys,

how is the drag? I realize its only a 3wt, but ?

thanks for the responses.
    The BBS series has the same drag as the recently discontinued Battenkill Disc series which was in production for the last couple of decades. I have caught bonito, barracuda, bonefish, carp, and trout as big as ten pounds with these drags. Maintenance is minimal. The drag will handle anything you will fish for with a three wt.

+ Reply to Thread