+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Central Iowa Fly Fishing Reports

Dave you are catching way too many trout this year! I almost didn't recognize this thread. Nice work as usual!

I wish the trout I catch were as big as the ones YOU catch, Ben!
    Fly-fished from 7am-11am in 24-32 mph winds. Caught and released 16 rainbow trout.
    Here's the link to my blogged report:
    http://fishndave.blogspot.com/2012/03/iowa-trouthat-trick-saturday-3-10-2012.html

Teaser Pic:
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Fly-fished during lunch today. 9 Bluegills, 4 Crappies (up to 11"), 1 Green Sunfish...and a jumbo crayfish (caught by hand).

Blogged report is here:
    http://fishndave.blogspot.com/2012/03/fly-fishing-lunch-report-3132012.html

David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Blog Entries

wow. . . nice crawdad.. couple more like him and I'd be I'd have evil thoughts. Stay after them fishes.
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

I fly-fished local ponds for 4 hours yesterday...from 9am-1pm.
    I caught 60 fish (Bluegills, Green Sunfish, and Crappies). Biggest fish was a 13" Crappie.

Also caught a Crayfish on my fly.

The report and sweet pictures are on my blog if you are interested:
    http://fishndave.blogspot.com/2012/0...3-21-2012.html

David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Blog Entries

Good to see you back in the mix Dave. I don't catch a lot of white crappie but my personal best (all tackle) was a white - 17". The biggest black I caught yesterday was really getting dark. They're moving "up"... They are sure pretty when they move up and get "black". Nice pics.
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

Yep, just took a brief reprieve while "Spring Breaking" with my family in the Dominican Republic. Back now!

During lunch today, I fly-fished a local public pond.

This pond was the one that got destroyed by overfishing during the winter about 3 years ago. Its isn't what it was, and has several problems ongoing such as filling in, algae, lack of bass, etc. So...no high hopes for today, just wanted to give it its yearly "test".

I caught 15 bluegills and 2 green sunfish. All on a beadhead woolly bugger...black & olive.

This is an improvement over the past few years. The optimistic news was that the bluegills were very thick-bodied and healthy...although they still probably don't measure more than 7.5". I was pleased, because this at least gives a ray of hope for the bluegill population over the next few years.

Same fish as the first picture...just a closer look.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Weekend Report, 3/23-3/25/2012

3/23/2012
    Had 30 minutes of free time after work. Took advantage of it and fly-fished a local public pond. Landed 8 bluegills and 2 crappies.

3/24/2012
    Called my buddy Jay to see if he wanted to fish for a few hours on Saturday morning. We decided to meet at Saylorville Lake. Lots of people fishing there. I fished for 2.5 hours and used fly-fishing gear along rocky shorelines. I landed (at least) 25 largemouth bass (all under 12"), 1 bluegill, and 3 green sunfish. Almost all the fish I caught were within 5' of shore in water 2' deep or less.

3/25/2012
    I drove a carpool downtown DM on Sunday, and had an hour to fly-fish at Copper Creek Lake. Lots of folks out there! Saw a guy catch a really nice bass....maybe a 4-pounder.
    I caught 12 bluegills.

---
    Later on, my family settled down to watch a movie we had recently seen, so I decided to go fishing while they watched it. It was almost dark by the time I started fishing at a local public pond. I fly-fished from 8pm-9:30pm. I caught 20 crappies and 13 bluegills. Not bad for fishing in the dark!

--------------------------------------
    That was 84 fish for the weekend, and brings this month's total to 215 fish. I checked my fishing logs back to 2006, and this is the most fish I've ever caught in March (even though I was gone for a week on Spring Break). March typically sucks because we get that time period where the ice on lakes is too poor to fish on, but the water isn't fully open yet, or the water is too cold for the fish to be active. This year is a FREAK year!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Great thread Dave,
    I fished a pond in Wa. state for several years way back when. When I started fishing it the 'gills were like those you mention, but at 6.5". I think the pond had severe depletion issues periodically due to farm useage. We lucked out and hit it on one of it's up-swings, which lasted for the first 3 or 4 years we were there. The 'gills average grew 1" per year till
    8.5"-9" was average. The bass seemed to hang at sub-1# with a few 3#-4.5# to sweeten the pot, but not improve as radically as the 'gills. The crappie population improved sorta parallel to the bass, but not nearly so well as the bluegills.
    Our 5th and 6th years there were extremely depressing, as we witnessed the demise of this pond as it was dried up for irrigation purposes. End of un-official study, sorry to say.
    Anyway, we enjoy your excursion reports, for sure.....
    .....lee s.

Thanks Lee!

I fly-fished last night for an hour. It was very WINDY!!
    It started off reasonably well. I caught 3 decent bluegills right away, and one female especially had a very large belly, likely with ripening eggs. Then I caught a nice surprise largemouth bass of about 15". All of these were caught on an unweighted natural-colored marabou leech tied with a bright orange thread head.
    The action slowed. I started moving around trying to find more fish and fight the wind. I lost the fly to a tree behind me (dang wind!), and tied on an unweighted Partridge and Chartreuse soft hackle. I caught 2 more bluegills and 1 nice green sunfish before I had to leave.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread