+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: 2012 Central Iowa Fly Fishing Reports

Dave -

On one small spring creek down in the Central Mountains of Idaho, I used to see a fair number of very dark, purplish rainbows, even darker than the one you caught.

There were stocked rainbows in that creek, but way downstream from where I fished. I'm pretty sure the ones I saw and caught were wild fish. I usually saw them around spawning time, but since that is the time of year that I usually fished that creek, that might just be a coincidence. They might have been there year round.

Rainbow trout do have quite the extraordinary range of colors and spot patterns.

John
    The fish are always right.

50 degrees when I left the office for lunch...and 58 when I got back! Ahhh, December in Iowa!
    Now, keep in mind all the local ponds were 100% ice-covered for about 5 days about a week-and-a-half ago. Then the ice melted off again...but the water is THAT cold!

I went flyfishing, of course. Despite the warm air temps, those fish are getting extremely sluggish. I missed quite a few soft strikes. The first first fish that decided to let me hook it was a crappie. It came in like a wooden plank. The other fish fought better, but that first one was a good indication of the fish's activity level right now.

I ended up catching 3 Crappies and 4 Bluegills. The biggest crappie was this 12.5-incher:

All on a microjig under an indicator.
    Last edited by FishnDave; 12-04-2012 at 01:12 PM.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

As most of you know, I keep a Fishing Log each year. I feel I'm probably done fishing for this year, so I went through my Log and crunched the numbers. Its a good way to wrap up this thread.

I fished 166 days this year, 211 fishing trips. Final fish tally is 3,112, which exceeded my previous best year by 486 fish! I caught 2,846 of those on flyfishing gear, which I used 90% of the time. I landed 34 fish over 20" in Iowa. I visited 30 different bodies of water throughout the year, 8 of them were completely new to me.

The full blogged breakdown statistics and summary is here, for those interested in reading more:
    http://fishndave.blogspot.com/2012/1...in-review.html
    Last edited by FishnDave; 12-13-2012 at 12:58 PM.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread