+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Central Iowa Fly Fishing Reports

Hybrid View

Default 2012 Central Iowa Fly Fishing Reports

February 25, 2012
    My friend Ben wanted to fly-fish some open water on Saturday morning. Lots of choices as far as the local public ponds were concerned.
    We met at one of the ponds, fished for about an hour. We each caught one tiny crappie. First open water fish of the year!

Then we headed to another pond. We fished for a couple hours before Ben had to leave. It was slow...we'd each caught at least 2 crappies, and missed several other fish.
    Since I was there, I decided to stay after Ben left to try a couple other spots. I ended up trying just one spot, and stood there for another hour, and caught a total of (at least) 16 crappies. THAT was fun!
    Yes, it was cold...had to fly-fish with gloves on, and also had to clean the ice out of the line guides every 2nd or 3rd cast.
    It was very fun, and the fish fought well.

David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Blog Entries

Congrats Dave.. That's encouraging! I'm going to have to give it a whirl this week... between the wind and the rain if possible.
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

Its VERY early in the season...but its do-able! Get after your fish, and post your results here, Gene! You've got BIG fish down by you!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Today's "Lunchtime Fishing Report"
    Check it!

http://fishndave.blogspot.com/2012/0...-3-1-2012.html

Obligatory teaser pic:
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Good job David - glad you got out.
    iaflyfisher

Blog Entries

"Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll forget to eat."

Nice work!
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

Quote Originally Posted by FishnDave View Post
    February 25, 2012
    My friend Ben wanted to fly-fish some open water on Saturday morning. Lots of choices as far as the local public ponds were concerned.
    Time flies when you are having fun !

John
    The fish are always right.

Yes, and it sure has flown by! Fishing is coming full circle as the year winds down. Open-water season started with crappies and trout, bloomed into at least 16 fish species landed on fly gear (including 5 new ones for my fly-rod list) over the warmer months, and looks like it (open-water season) will be ending with crappies and likely some trout. Hopefully there will be a good month or more of open-water left this season.
    Fishing has been a little slow of late, and I haven't been able to get out nearly as much as I'd like. Sure would like to finish the year as strong as it started.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Flyfished for about 40 minutes during lunch. Put my rainsuit on. Todays effort resulted in 45+ Crappies, 5 Bluegills and 8 Green Sunfish. All relatively small fish, with one or two decent bluegills (for that pond). Could have caught more, but I started moving around to see if I could locate any of the legacy year class of larger fish. I didn't find any of those fish. But 58 fish during lunch is...pretty good.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread