+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Central Iowa Fly Fishing Reports

Default Sucker-punched

Yesterday during lunch, I tried to fly-fish a creek for suckers. I have no idea what kind of "spawning run" of suckers this creek gets, but I did catch some out of this creek years ago, before I started fly-fishing. So...I was hopeful. As it turns out, I didn't see a single fish or get a detectable bite. Bummer.

Interesting spot, though...
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Quote Originally Posted by FishnDave View Post
    I landed just the one rainbow, so you did a lot better than I did!
    Not so sure about that, Dave. I wandered around the Missouri for something like five hours watching the bugs, trying to get a feel for the system, which is quite different than my normal "habitat", and watched fishies rising close by while I made cast after cast with fly after fly a good part of the time.

John
    The fish are always right.

Had some time to kill while in West Des Moines last night, so I fly-fished at Blue Heron Lake. I spent a fair amount of time untangling my line from the abundant sticks along the shoreline at my feet, and from the trees behind me. Pain in the...tuckus!

I ended up catching at least 8 skinny Bluegills, 2 skinny Crappies, and a "fly-rod first" for me...a Yellow Bass.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Quote Originally Posted by FishnDave View Post
    Had some time to kill while in West Des Moines last night, so I fly-fished at Blue Heron Lake. I spent a fair amount of time untangling my line from the abundant sticks along the shoreline at my feet, and from the trees behind me.
    Dave,

Ever consider a stripping/shooting basket? I made one from a Rubbermaid dishpan with 2 slots cut for a wading belt (I've used bungee cord too). Great for fishing in situations like yours; also does a great job keeping the line from tangling pilings & bulkheads when I'm striper fishing. Congrats on the yellow bass.

Regards,
    Scott

That would have worked great! Yes, I've considered a stripping basket. Haven't pulled the trigger on one yet.
    Most of the places I fish, I don't need one...but it sure would have been helpful that night.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Cloudy and cool day today (Saturday). Chased some bass, and caught some bluegills. Blogged the report here:
    http://fishndave.blogspot.com/2012/04/dreary-saturday-fly-fishing-4-28-2012.html

David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Caught a ginormous 8.5" Green Sunfish while fly-fishing during lunch today!

Also caught some decent bluegills...this one wasn't the biggest, but it had a REALLY bright, deep orange breast:

Also saw some big bullfrogs, their tadpoles, a muskrat, and this Painted Turtle (its rooting around underwater):
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Vintage Lake....lunch report for 5-1-2012.
    http://fishndave.blogspot.com/2012/05/vintage-lake-5-1-2012.html

David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Dave,

Nice fish. I need to take a few hours off from our bathroom re-modeling and hit the local pond.

Regards,
    Scott

Fly-fished during my lunch hour today. WARM....mid-80's during the noon-hour! The report is here:
    http://fishndave.blogspot.com/2012/05/fly-fishing-lunch-report-5-3-2012.html

David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread