+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Foam for Fly Box

Hybrid View

Default Foam for Fly Box

Anyone know where to locate foam suitable for use in a large fly box? I've looked in a few places like Wally World and a couple craft-type stores for suitable foam to no avail. I'd like the type foam I could slit longways and use to grip the hook instead of piercing the foam with the hook point. BTW, the foam will be used for bass and musky flies, larger style hooks. Any advice on where to look (type of stores) locally or on the net would be appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!
    Mark 1:17

How big a box? I've seen 9"x12" sheets of 4mm foam in craft stores that should serve your purpose. If that's not thick enough, you can get 6mm (1/4") on EBay, or just glue sheets together 'till you get the depth you're looking for.

Regards,
    Scott

Joann's has 6mm in limited colors, black, white, and maybe red. Here's a source for additional colors although looks like only four packs.
    http://www.craftsuppliesforless.com/...amsheets2.html

If you are open to a fly box I would suggest a "Cliffs the beast". I have one and it sounds like what you want to build. http://www.cliffoutdoors.com/index.php?page=the-beast-s . You may want to look at exercise mats.
    There are moments when, whatever be the attitude of the body, the soul is on its knees.
    R.Y.

Quote Originally Posted by chewydog View Post
    Joann's has 6mm in limited colors, black, white, and maybe red. Here's a source for additional colors although looks like only four packs.
    http://www.craftsuppliesforless.com/...amsheets2.html
    Micheal's Craft Stores also carry 6mm foam that can easily be slit to work like the foam in Cliff's boxes...

Thanks guys. Local craft stores here only seem to have the 2mm foam, but the 4 or 6 mm sounds like it might work fine. I'll keep looking and see if I can find some. Will the standard craft-type foam hold hooks decently if slit longways and glued down in a box?
    Mark 1:17

desertman just had a good idea. and it triggered a thought in my mind. I was just at a wally yesterday and looked at a sleeping bag size blue foam bedding mat. It was only $7+ and was about 2.5' wide and 6' long. It should work and would make a ton of fly boxes. a little thick...but if slitting it might be perfect.

tks desertman.....

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinG View Post
    Will the standard craft-type foam hold hooks decently if slit longways and glued down in a box?
    I made this box with the 4mm foam slit lengthwise & glued; works fine:

Regards,
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread